Marilyn Manson Vocal effect

S

Stan Chic

Anyone no how they get mansons vocals to sound the way they do?

Hi Stan,

Not quite sure as to what instance you are referring to but generally for the kinda stuff that Manson does you would probably get the results you are looking for by using a shallow flanger or a Leslie sound on the voice in the way of modulation type effects.

As Manson started life being produced by Trent Reznor who records almost exclusively in digital, I would also consider letting parts of the vocal clip. Usually if you were recording a vocal then you try and avoid clipping, especially with digital, but for an industrial sound then sometimes digital clipping can be good (Reznor has got it down to almost an artform!) You could either record the original source at too high a level or record it then export to Sound Forge or whatever wave program you use and over-normalise the vocal part in places. (This would give you more control over the clipping than just recording it clipping)

For examples of the digital clipping sound I'm talking about check out the heavier songs on "The Fragile"

One thing to consider though is that it is important not to over use any effect on the vocal as it will lessen the vocal track's clarity in the mix.

Hope that helps,
Filo

Cheers for that. sounds like a good theory to that effect. Have you tried it out? Im not really into heavy music altho I do like mansons stuff and especially the production.

Manson copied most of his vocal effect style from Ogre of Skinny Puppy. A lot of that sound is compression set to "SQUASH" levels and subtle analog overloading of the mic/mixer.

To achieve those types of sounds I rarely use distortion myself.

Trent Reznor was fond of the Zoom FX procesor (I forget which one) and I wouldnt' be surprised if POAAF and TACS era Manson used it as well--seeing as Manson knew jack about recording at that point in his career and relied on Reznor to make those decisions.

Admittedly a lot of Manson's performance is attitude and the old-fashioned lungs work out.

Ogre in the 80's used the Lexicon PCM41 delay unit, with live twiddling, to achieve many signature SP sounds. You can see this in the "Ain't It Dead Yet?" video by Skinny Puppy.

If you are going to utilize digital clipping I HIGHLY HIGHLY SUGGEST being very careful. If you have to do it this way try this--record the vocal normally and experiment with software amplification or hard limiting to clip the vocal. When you get it sufficiently clipped save the file and then reduce the amplitude--you will keep the clipping effect but you will not be clipping.

Trying to mix a song with the vocal line clipping like a MOFO would be a pain in the butt. Don't try it--it will probably sound like utter rubbish.

So to review: record it normal, clip it in post-production, reduce the gain level after you clip it to make it more manageable to mix with.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited:
Back