management for producers?

BrownWonda

indians love hip-hop.
anyone got any advice on finding management? things to look for in someone, how to know a good manager from a shark...

Do you have a discography?

Do you have any placements?

Are you making enough money off of music to only do music?

If you have answered "NO" to any one of these questions, you DON'T need a manager.

Last edited:
Do you have a discography?

Do you have any placements?

If you have answered "NO" to any one of these questions, you DON'T need a manager.

thats not entirely true, you're making it seem like hes looking for a publishing deal

while it helps to have placements and to make money off of music..because it gives you leverage and it makes some big name management firms/companies/managers want to contact you

and being a up and comer you run into a lot of dudes "faking the funk" and are really just interns who might see a lot of artists or a dudes who arent as connected as they make you seem

the real question is: Do you have good music?.. and thats really all you need..

if you have good music, a good product and a lot of that said product, it shouldnt be hard to find a good manager who is willing to work for you and help you get money, it might take some time, but if you've been this long without a manager it shouldnt be that big of a deal

id get a lawyer first though.. cause like i said.. there are a LOT of dudes out there faking it

Last edited:
and as far as your music OP, i'd wait a lil bit on gettin a manager just yet, all i heard was the remixes on your myspace but they still kinda rough imo

okay good point. 2 out of 3 of my question can be taken off. but:

If you are not making money, there is nothing for a manager. 15% of $0 is $0. a manager is not an investor. a manger works for you not the other way around.

okay good point. 2 out of 3 of my question can be taken off. but:

If you are not making money, there is nothing for a manager. 15% of $0 is $0. a manager is not an investor. a manger works for you not the other way around.

that i agree with lolol :cheers:

Last edited:
aight, i def see ur guys point, plus i didnt really explain my situation, im a college kid and have only gotten a few independent placements, nothing that pays, so im obviously not makin any serious money off music,
what im really lookin for is someone who can help me network and shop my beats around
i know since im a rookie these are things i can do myself, but i got a hard enough time just using facebook and twitter socially, im just personally not that into the whole online networking thing
i guess im lookin for a guy whos just starting out like me

plus i dont trust those guys who come around on FP and other forums saying theyr managers looking for new producers

....?!?! I've seen plenty of your posts and you come off like your in the game,but from what I understand like you said "a manger works for you not the other way around" You don't got 2 have placements or be making any money from music to want or need a manager..It's there job to get work for you,they get paid when you do..10-15 percent commission of all the work they bring to you.This is what motivates every manager to do their job!! GET YOU WORK SO THEY GET PAID..This is common knowledge!!

....?!?! I've seen plenty of your posts and you come off like your in the game,but from what I understand like you said "a manger works for you not the other way around" You don't got 2 have placements or be making any money from music to want or need a manager..It's there job to get work for you,they get paid when you do..10-15 percent commission of all the work they bring to you.This is what motivates every manager to do their job!! GET YOU WORK SO THEY GET PAID..This is common knowledge!!

okay, thanks man. I'm sure you and your 'manager' are doing quite well.

True you don't need placements to get a manager, I admit I was wrong on that one. but you do need to prove that you are an asset making money. this is a business. You have to have somewhat of a track record to get a real manager. Someone will only work on dreams and credit so long.

Dwells
"okay good point. 2 out of 3 of my question can be taken off. but"

..next page

Dwells
True you don't need placements to get a manager, I admit I was wrong on that one.

...kay so you've admitted that every piece of advice/knowledge you've givin' in this thread has been false and misleading,cool.I think the best piece of advice you gave was letting the OP know that the best advice came from someone else..

Not tryna be a smart ass or be know it all just pointing out the obvious..No I don't have a manager and Im not doing anything spectacular with my music as of yet,but thanks for the sarcasm!!! Sorry if I hurt your e-feelings,I just wanna be helpful around here.While you roam about here basically telling people to forget it,don't bother,that's not how it works etc..EVERY POST!!! I don't think you've provided a spark of hope or a helping hand to anybody around here,why do you even post here?Does it make you feel better about yourself???WTF?

Last edited:
anyone got any advice on finding management? things to look for in someone, how to know a good manager from a shark...

Sorry..Back to the OP's original question..You should do some research your "target's",set up an interview in person if possible,email's/IM if not possible,ask questions like:who have you worked with in the past?what did you do for them?(credentials) how did it turn out?what can you offer me?what is your rate?etc Remember this person works for you!! NOT the other way around..(don't get me wrong,it is a partnership relationship) One sure way to spot a shark is a "manager" that wants $ up front or $$ at all.A real manager will be fronting you money! (that you have to pay back) when the $$ is avail..Avoid any managers asking for money up front (RED FLAG!!!) I'll post more info as I think of it..

My personal opinion is IF nobody approaches you (fake or not) then your not that good. keep working...

Just do everything yourself man... YOU will know when you need a manager Trust me... those things will start to fall in place... people will start knocking your door.. THE POINT IS>> you will know. Don't rush

OOOOHHHHH.... (sting)

I agree i hate it when people confuse us producers as artists. What i mean is, the term "manager" is loosly defined in the music biz. You can be some one who has never sold a beat and never been heard of and still be a diamond for a manager. We are not like artists where the manager needs to help us uphold our "image" or schedual tour dates and shows. Just get my music to the people you know! And a couple of other things but thats all that really counts.

Back