Making beats with a limiter

xleoforeverx

:hello: i have always made beats with a limiter on the master with about 20db gain 0.5 ceiling this is so i can actually hear what i'm producing but i'm pretty sure this isn't the right way to do things i don't have a sound card and i'm pretty sure they have an amp on them and thats how u get a good volume for producing ?

thats not the reason you put a limiter on the master. Just turn the volume up...

The only reason you are gonna have a limiter on your master is to prevent blowing out your speakers.

lose the limiter - it gives you a false sense of "goodness" and in fact will have you questioning why, when you add more parts, things seem to get quieter.....

you must have a soundcard otherwise you would not be able to hear what is being done on your computer

you mean to say you do not have an external soundcard

read the stickies in every section, ask questions (but search for answer first - upper right corner of the current page), you learn soon enough if you are serious about this expensive hobby

The only reason you are gonna have a limiter on your master is to prevent blowing out your speakers.

this is true of live sound and it is as true for amplifiers as it is for speakers - the speakers will not last as long as the amplifier, but both will blow if driven to flat-line clipping for any extended period of time

in studio sound we use a limiter to bring signals under control without going into harsh clipping - no track sound goods with constant distortion on it, which is what can happen when transients exceed the absolute output level of the medium

Back