makeing a interface choice

N

newguy188

first off just wanted to say i have been a huge lurker here, i found this site 6 months ago when i first started getting into all this production stuff and so far the threads i found here have been invaluable in teaching me the basics of making music on my computer. everything from researching what DAWs to use, to what a synthesizer is, pretty much any question i have ever had about anything has been answered in here somewhere by someone. a huge thanks to everyone who has contributed to this amazing wealth of info, its been a huge help.

now for my question.

so far all im using is my laptop (a kickass laptop at that) and DAW. i use midi for everything and just draw it in with a mouse and computer keyboard. now that im growing into this whole thing, im ready for some gear. im haveing a hard time figureing out what exactly is going to best suit my situation.

logically my next step is an interface, as well as a midi keyboard. when i have enough money il invest in good monitors, and a mic (since my gf has an amazing voice, i cant wait to incorporate that into my tracks). i also play the guitar, and would love to be able run that thru the daw as well.

so far, from researching myself, i have come up with the line 6 KB37. id post a link if i could.

for the longest time i thought it would be perfect, xlr input for the mic, jack for my guitar, direct monitoring, velocity sensitive keys. and it comes with that pod farm stuff plus a lite version of ableton live, useful as im definately going to be buying all the software i use before anything happens live, or i even share any of the tracks i have made.

but after reading more, i have become worried that the 37 keys will be to restricting. i think in the long run i would be much more satisfied with 61. i have no experience with piano at all, so im just not sure just HOW restricting the 37 keys will be.

if this is the case and i need to go in a different direction entirely, what interfaces will allow me to get the guitar in?? i dont think i have seen any at all with a guitar jack built in like the line 6... just mic ins...

is there something im missing about interfaces? is there a way to turn any of those xlr ins into a guitar jack? if there is that would make my hunt alot easyer...

im just looking for something that keeps every option open, and it seems the interface is the core of the whole thing and so is pretty important to get the right one. il probably be sticking with my choice for a long, long time.

thanks in advance for any suggestions. you guys have been an enormous help already.

with both the keyboard and the interface, it's a personal choice. people that care about cars don't all buy the same cars, do they? the real goal is to find something that fits YOU, and what you do.

i've had good experience with novation keyboard controllers, but then i haven't tried many other ones !

as for audio interfaces: they matter, but in a subtle way. i'd recommend getting a ~$500 one with midi+a bunch of audio channels. that is, a mid-range one. it'll be a lot cleaner than a laptop soundcard, and really let you figure out where you're going. then in a year or three, when that $500 one starts to show its age, splurge on something really nice, RME or Apogee....

and don't de-prioritize monitors!!! if you can't hear the sounds properly, the quality of the gear doesn't matter !!

Last edited:
Don't buy an interface that's attached to a keyboard, you're setting yourself up for headaches down the road. It'd be helpful if you told us your max budget, how many channels you'll need at once, and whether you just need a keyboard and interface right now or you need a mic and monitors too.

Because while all-in-one interfaces do everything, they don't do any of it well? I guess I agree. It's also fun to be able to rearrange things as you get more gear....

But, you know, some people don't want to drop $thousands for a proper setup, or wait a year to save up that much cash. I guess it's just important to know what you're buying.

I took a look at the Line6 KB thing, and it seems a tad gimmicky. Those analog meters are there to distract you from poor driver support, noisy audio, or something. :p

But, yeah, post your budget, your plans, if you wish a more directed ramble !!

The issue is it's not modular. It's foolish to assume he won't grow out of the gear if he likes the hobby, and if he doesn't he can sell it. However, say he hates the keyboard and gets another one but still needs an interface. Then you have some hunk of junk keyboard there acting as an interface. Say he hates the interface or needs more ins and outs but loves his keyboard. There's value lost there because he would just have a midi keyboard and have used the money for other things. Not to mention when you upgrade you need to upgrade 2 things instead of one at the same time.

The issue is it's not modular. It's foolish to assume he won't grow out of the gear if he likes the hobby, and if he doesn't he can sell it. However, say he hates the keyboard and gets another one but still needs an interface. Then you have some hunk of junk keyboard there acting as an interface. Say he hates the interface or needs more ins and outs but loves his keyboard. There's value lost there because he would just have a midi keyboard and have used the money for other things. Not to mention when you upgrade you need to upgrade 2 things instead of one at the same time.

^ Agreed.

The Line 6 KB is selling for around $350. So let's assume that's the budget. It may be a little tough fitting a 61 key controller & and an interface into that budget but it's possible.

A 61 key MAudio Keystation is a little over $150. It's big brother MAudio Oxygen 61 is about $200. Pair that with a Presonus AudioBox or MAudio Fast Track Pro and those are around $150-$200. If you buy used (which I STRONGLY recommend), you'll see even more savings.. and you may even be able to get some equipment you normally wouldn't be able to afford. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Also... I'm just using those above as examples, not necessarily a recommendation... there are plenty of other options in that range.

hey guys, thanks for the replies.

sooooo it is possible to plug my guitar straight into the same input the mics will go into. this clears a few issues up for me.

after more research i think i got a interface.

the focusrite scarlette 2i2 or the saffire 6. most likely the 2i2 as from what i can gather they sound the same and i wouldnt need the extra features on the saffire 6 anyways. any suggestions one way or the other would be helpful, id pay the extra 50 bucks if the saffire 6 was worth an extra 50.

for a midi controller im looking at the m audio stuff. the oxygen looks like a great choice, and its certainly in my price range for the moment. taking into account that im not a piano player, but should be able to pick it up pretty fast, how much will i be missing without the semi weighted keys of an axiom? im not really interested in the pads featured on the axiom, but it sounds like the keybeds are something to brag about. if i could find a used axiom 61 for the same price as a new oxygen, id definately jump on it.

getting the keyboard will be a big change to my production. i cant wait to record my parts instead of clicking them in.

after that the next investments will be in monitors and legalizing my copy of live. the interface comes with the light version so that will help discount the upgrade. though i may not have the money for that for a few months atleast.

as for my budget, i can justify spending $500 in one go if its something that will last me years. i dont want to buy something im going to have to sell in a year cause iv outgrown it. i break my big purchases up with a few months in between to save up again. i got a few expensive hobbies so it can be really hard to decide where the money goes.

thanks for the tips guys. all very helpful

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

oh and to answer the questions asked above,

i dont think il ever be recording more than 2 instruments or mics at once (never say never i guess)

budget is reasonably 300 a pop. willing to pay more for real quality. more money will take me more time to get.

and i think at this point the midi controller is the first necessity. with nobs and fadders. its the most important to developing my workflow. the monitors are about quality, and since im the only one listening to my shit right now, they arnt urgent. gf can buy her own mic if its that important ;)

Back