Mainstream VS Underground... Mainground VS Understream

dogbo415

With mixtapes being released that sound like albums and the internet making overnight celebs its increasingly frequent to see artists go from underground to mainstream. but my question is at what point do you consider an artist mainstream? after signing a major deal? a radio single? just curious to hear what you all think about this the line between the two is increasingly blurred. take Curren$y for instance i dont consider him mainstream but he has a huge following just as much as alot of these "mainstream" artists.

The easiest way you can tell artists go mainstream when they have singles that get played on the radio and sell alot. Or they collab with mainstream artists alot.

In Curren$y's case, he's still underground (he doesn't have a hit or anything), but he's kinda like Mainstream IN the Underground.

When you get nominated for an award and are featured on various songs that play on the radio.

The easiest way you can tell artists go mainstream when they have singles that get played on the radio and sell alot. Or they collab with mainstream artists alot.

In Curren$y's case, he's still underground (he doesn't have a hit or anything), but he's kinda like Mainstream IN the Underground.

yea currensy is in the understream lol. let me rephrase the ques tho.

Does being mainstream mean you sold out? cuz a lot of time mainstream is used negatively

yea currensy is in the understream lol. let me rephrase the ques tho.

Does being mainstream mean you sold out? cuz a lot of time mainstream is used negatively
Some people may think that, but I don't. Being mainstream just means your music is popular. Drake is mainstream, but I don't think he sold out, or a bad rapper (imo).

noted. in the end i think alot of people just throw that word around. and most of the people i hear call someone mainstream dont even make music or aren't at all involved in the industry so go figure...

Last edited:
The phrase "selling out" (used to be BAD) has been replaced by "branding" (now GOOD). When you see an artist's name or face attached to something non-performance-music related, I think they've crossed into "selling out", especially if it's in another big area of pop culture, like food, gameshows, or sports.

But the underground has more leverage than ever, with the internet. They can rival the mainstream acts - cite Macklemore & Mac Miller, recently. I still have never heard Mac Miller on Hot97 in NY, but I know he sold more copies than some of the people I DO hear on the radio.

The phrase "selling out" (used to be BAD) has been replaced by "branding" (now GOOD). When you see an artist's name or face attached to something non-performance-music related, I think they've crossed into "selling out", especially if it's in another big area of pop culture, like food, gameshows, or sports.

But the underground has more leverage than ever, with the internet. They can rival the mainstream acts - cite Macklemore & Mac Miller, recently. I still have never heard Mac Miller on Hot97 in NY, but I know he sold more copies than some of the people I DO hear on the radio.

you hit the nail on the head thanks for comment. like i said earlier the line between the too is getting thinner and thinner.

Depends. Back in the days underground was you holding your own. Cassettes in your neighborhood, out the trunk, doing regional shows. That stuff still goes on stronger today..(especially considering how much money these big headed ass mainstream rappers want to even show up in clubs today). The different is today people think datpiff equals instant underground artist who is in the same league as the mainstream artist doing the same. Which gives the underground a bad name when a bunch of non hustling ass, no money spending, lazy sumabitches post music hoping to be seen and get to the mainstream level....sounding like a mainstream artist yet underground. Shit is twisted today. Dudes put no effort in the underground because they feel in their heart that the internet is the way to their success. Shit is rediculous to even call them underground.....they are cockaroaches. They ain't working them outlets in their city and surrounding eras. They ain't spending money to create their own shows...renting buildings for use. They ain't got posters floating, flyers fying, plenty of things pointing to their website that has everything their fanbase need. They know they can post their music on other website than their own..................AND HOPE FOR THE BEST. Yet they dare want to be considered in the same breath as real UNDERGROUND artist. The one's who get featured on mainstream albums not because they begged, but because they are that fuucking powerful in their region or even the world that a chart topping artist wants creditablity to use him......yet he turns all of them down but a few he like...they should feel special to have him on his album..ya dig!!!

Give you some real underground rappers who stayed true.
These introvert ass rappers on the internet be faking with their numbers. Using gimmicks.....disgrace to the underground.

Gucci Mane is underground. Jeezy is mainstream....understand the difference. Gucci been on the radio...yet he "underground".

And last but not least....the person that everyone show know. I consider this man the KING of the underground.

That's a real dude right there. Much respect. It's plenty of others...people get confused with their "eyes" s to what underground and mainstream is. It's a lot of man to the man to the man and a bunch of hands and less control in mainstream. You have to weight in line in majors. You have no say so.....you got to shut your fuucking mouth when the boss coming around.

Basicly.......underground artist appeal to the "people" because they are the home team even outside of their city. Mainstream is "go get them white boys and girls money....do some weirdo shit, at the same time let's get those real nigga's money....make them black chicks want to have your baby.....all of that type of shit. #No racial

Drake will scream real nigga on a bunch of songs...........run out on the NBA floor not because he is excited....but "LOOK AT ME.....I'M IN THE BUILDING".....and people wonder why I would love to see somebody beat the brakes off his ass. Niggas put on a skateboard front and shit....wearing got damn furry boots and pink pants......like dreads weren't a good enough personal presentation. THen....what's worse than them is the fake wanna be thems. Using inspiration as an excuse to bite a style for to get the white girls and boys money, yet keep it real with the real niggas, and black girls want to have their baby. #No racial

Then these weirdo ass white boys want to start a trend by using the word nigga like they don't give a fuuck...like a real nigga....yet they don't want to deal with what real niggas deal with....like ass whoopings....they turn white real quick when real niggas come around though. Some get smart and surround themselves with "real niggas"...because niggas love money and jewelry and cars and thangz. "Say nigga all you want to my nigga...keep that money coming". Now real niggas getting hurt and killed....to protect a not so real nigga or a white dude from the suburbs who wants to be down. Sickening. #NO RACIAL

Last edited:
is that pipe your smokin handmade?

Mainstream | Define Mainstream at Dictionary.com

Underground | Define Underground at Dictionary.com

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

yo rice if you composed your paragraphs cleary and got the point and didnt have hella videos all the time you might make more sense

Too bad you too slow. :cheers: I'm sure plenty of people get it or smart enough not assume it needs to be clearified. A picture speaks a thousand words, a video speaks even more. What......you can't stream videos with good info...I see.

Last edited:
So what's underground today? No major label? Record Sales? The type of music?

whats your take on that bro? thats what were discussing. i personally think an indie label is for sure trait of an underground artist. not to say it cant be reversed and you can make it big from an indie but i wouldnt really consider an artist signed to an major label underground. even if they werent poppin like dat that would just be classified as wack lol. and the type of music thats when it gets tricky
i dont think theres such thing as an underground style but there are traits and similarites in sound between underground artists

---------- Post added at 02:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 AM ----------

Too bad you too slow. :cheers: I'm sure plenty of people get it or smart enough not assume it needs to be clearified. A picture speaks a thousand words, a video speaks even more. What......you can't stream videos with good info...I see.

if a video speaks more than a thousand words you just put three up so thats a few thousand words so no need for the incoherent rants. and bro you have almost 8 THOUSAND posts on here goddaaam. you should be gettting paid by these guys by now.why dont you make a blog and make some money off that shit. riceworld.com?

Last edited:
I think I've got it broken down to a science Fame wise (Well at least how I see it) lol:

Mainstream: Common household name. Everyone recognizes the artist either from TV or always hearing their song on the radio. In other words, alot of white people knows who the artist is lol. Example: Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, 2 Chainz, Wiz Khalifa, etc.

Low Mainstream: Barely common name, only known to MOST for one song/album. People will forget/the hype will die down about the artist for awhile until their next project is being promoted. Example: J.Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Big Sean, Wale, etc. This category could also include 1-hit wonders.

Mainstream Underground: That zone where the artist is known by all Non-Radio Exclusive listeners. Possibly Indie. Most only care about staying true to their fans. Example: Tech N9ne (Perfect example,) Curren$y, Lupe, Blu, Joey Badass, Lil B, etc.

Another perfect example of this category is 08-2010 Wiz. Wiz was the "Underground King" before Black and Yellow pushed him over.

Then there comes Underground, Local, and then Off the Radar.

But like Rice said, it depends on how you see it. Most "Mainstream" artists have no control of their music or only care about appealing to the radio. They treat it like a popularity contest. An artist "Sells Out" when it clearly shows that they are solely focusing on satisfying their "Hit Record" fans instead of their loyal fans that got them famous in the first place. Again, Wiz is a perfect example. He wanted to make it seem like he still cared with Taylor Allderdice, but its obvious he doesn't with the stuff he points out now.

Back