Macbook Specs - Your opinion?

estevancarlos

I'm debating between a Dual-core, Quad-core, or waiting till June (when the new machines come out). I'm trying to assess all the factors. My macbook is busted now so I'm desperate to replace it.

Question 1: Is there a big performance difference between Dual-core and Quad-core for music production? I use Ableton Live exclusively. I personally feel as though I can handle as many plugins as I need currently with my MacBook core 2. However maybe I'm missing something.

Question 2: Does anyone have opinions on using Optical drives with SSDs on one machine? I'm considering placing my Ableton Live library on an SSD.

Here are two machines I'm considering. They are the same except in price and processor. Your thoughts?

MacBook 13"
2.8Ghz Dual-core i7
16gb Ram
750gb HD 7200rpm - Primary
120gb SSD - Replacing the SuperDrive

MacBook 15"
2.2Ghz Quad-core i7
16gb ram
750gb HD 7200rpm - Primary
120gb SSD - Replacing the SuperDrive

well i have a 13 macbook pro thats running 2.6gh intel core duo with 8gb or RAM and the only times ive ecountered problems is when i have this huge mix with like 40 instrumnets all with lots of effects and im browsing and stuff, i think they should perform really good, you can distribute load among variuos processors

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

in your case i would go for the 15

Back