M-Audio Keystation 49 vs Alesis Q61

-/-

Hows it going FP just copped both of these Boards *Returning one once I decide*

Now each one has pro and cons

The action on the M-Audio 49 is soft and easy-flowing, don't have to push down all that hard

The 61 key Alesis is a bit more solid in design and the action is a bit stiffer requiring a little more pressure

Now I play keys pretty well and use a lot of chords and harmonies in my beats

Do I need 61 keys or is 49 enough? I've been testing the two all day and still can't decide so I turn to my fellow Future Producers :D

Let me know if anyone has experience with 1 or both of these boards i'd appreciate any input!

The feel of the board is sooo personal preference that we probably can't help you on that haha. I was in GC last month and actually played around w/ them and I liked the keystation better. I wasn't in there looking to buy one of those however... I went in to pick up a Korg MicroKey25.

I gotta say that I prefer my Novation SL mkii AND the microkey over both of those keybeds. If I were you I would look into the MicroKey 61. The keys obivously dont feel like a real keybed... but they are way more playable than I thought. And they have the footprint of a 49key controller, so you still save on space. Try it out though... b/c YMMV if you play keys very well. But I was surprised at how much i enjoy hitting chords on it and especially doing quick triggers on it.

In regards to 49 v 61... I actually just switch from 49key SL mkii to the 61key version... and man, the extra octave really opens things up in my brain a bit. I feel like I have enough room to work.. whereas on the 49, I felt a bit closed up and usually onl used the middle of the board. That's just me though. I produced justfine w/ 49 keys... but if you can afford 61 keys, it's worth it.

IMO... I think you should go Keybed > 61. So.. whichever keybed feels the best to you, I would go with that regardless of the 49 vs. 61 issue. I'd rather have 49 keys i'm happy with than 61 keys i'm not happy with.

Last edited:
The feel of the board is sooo personal preference that we probably can't help you on that haha. I was in GC last month and actually played around w/ them and I liked the keystation better. I wasn't in there looking to buy one of those however... I went in to pick up a Korg MicroKey25.

I gotta say that I prefer my Novation SL mkii AND the microkey over both of those keybeds. If I were you I would look into the MicroKey 61. The keys obivously dont feel like a real keybed... but they are way more playable than I thought. And they have the footprint of a 49key controller, so you still save on space. Try it out though... b/c YMMV if you play keys very well. But I was surprised at how much i enjoy hitting chords on it and especially doing quick triggers on it.

In regards to 49 v 61... I actually just switch from 49key SL mkii to the 61key version... and man, the extra octave really opens things up in my brain a bit. I feel like I have enough room to work.. whereas on the 49, I felt a bit closed up and usually onl used the middle of the board. That's just me though. I produced justfine w/ 49 keys... but if you can afford 61 keys, it's worth it.

IMO... I think you should go Keybed > 61. So.. whichever keybed feels the best to you, I would go with that regardless of the 49 vs. 61 issue. I'd rather have 49 keys i'm happy with than 61 keys i'm not happy with.

thanks for the response man. think im gonna mess around and see what feels more comfortable. gonna be a trade-off between softer keybed vs extra octave

As far as more keys... are you ever really going to have a single pattern that spans more than 49 notes and would actually benefit from having more physical keys?

I can understand the purpose for seasoned musicians making a living playing live music where maybe they're in a church running through some gargantuan gospel song with 10 key changes and flying all over the place... but someone making sequenced hip-hop/EDM?

Both are quality equipment. Assuming the price is close to each other, I'd go for whichever one had the most knobs, sliders, pads, etc.

As far as more keys... are you ever really going to have a single pattern that spans more than 49 notes and would actually benefit from having more physical keys?

I can understand the purpose for seasoned musicians making a living playing live music where maybe they're in a church running through some gargantuan gospel song with 10 key changes and flying all over the place... but someone making sequenced hip-hop/EDM?

Both are quality equipment. Assuming the price is close to each other, I'd go for whichever one had the most knobs, sliders, pads, etc.

only difference is keys I don't need extra parameters. you do make a pretty good point man

but its also a feeling...like idk but 49 feels cluttered but has the best action
61 just fits right in my studio and I like the freedom but the key stiffness is whats making me have a tough time deciding

The key action really depends on the model keyboard though. 49 vs 61 key on my Novation board is exactly the same.

It's really down to preference, which you have to get some checking them out in person. It just sucks if the store doesn't have the model you want to test, then you have to go by reviews, or buy somewhere w/ a return policy.

Definitely go w/ keybed feel first. Then figure out if they have a 61 key version you can afford. If not... you can always save for a while and sell off your board for a new keyboard later if 49 keys isn't cutting it. That's why I originally got the 49 key... I just couldn't afford 61 keys of the board I wanted lol... so I waited for my economy to change til I grabbed the 61. Got some good work done on the 49 key in the meantime though. There's nothing wrong w/ hitting the octave button.

Either way...
Maudio Keystation 61ES 843734000348 | eBay
^If you know you like the keystation keys a little better... boom, there's an auction for one, $50 so far with 8 hour left. It'll prob sell for around $80 or so when it's all said and done.

And here's a manufacturer's refurb for $120
Keystation 61ES 61 Key Semi Weighted USB MIDI Controller 843734000348 | eBay

Trust your gut on keybed. It's tough but your gut will lead you in the right direction.

The key action really depends on the model keyboard though. 49 vs 61 key on my Novation board is exactly the same.

It's really down to preference, which you have to get some checking them out in person. It just sucks if the store doesn't have the model you want to test, then you have to go by reviews, or buy somewhere w/ a return policy.

Definitely go w/ keybed feel first. Then figure out if they have a 61 key version you can afford. If not... you can always save for a while and sell off your board for a new keyboard later if 49 keys isn't cutting it. That's why I originally got the 49 key... I just couldn't afford 61 keys of the board I wanted lol... so I waited for my economy to change til I grabbed the 61. Got some good work done on the 49 key in the meantime though. There's nothing wrong w/ hitting the octave button.

Either way...
Maudio Keystation 61ES 843734000348 | eBay
^If you know you like the keystation keys a little better... boom, there's an auction for one, $50 so far with 8 hour left. It'll prob sell for around $80 or so when it's all said and done.

And here's a manufacturer's refurb for $120
Keystation 61ES 61 Key Semi Weighted USB MIDI Controller 843734000348 | eBay

Trust your gut on keybed. It's tough but your gut will lead you in the right direction.

thanks man i went with the alesis 61

usually like 160 i got it for 100. fits perfectly in my desk tray. keybed is cool im used to it basically

Back