M-Audio Axiom 49 or Akai MPK49

F.S

aka Mr. Ando
Apparently the Axiom doesn't have a very reliable set of keys. A few people throughout the blogoshpere have been complaining about the keys not springing back up after release etc. - which was why I am taking the MPK heavily into consideration. But the Axiom is cheaper...

Opinions? Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Nope. Not yet...

Starting to sway towards the Axiom though.

Last edited:
It's cheaper, and it has automatic midi mapping to most DAW's. I think it also maps automatically to vst's etc. To the extent of my knowledge, the MPK doesn't have any auto-mapping features. I would prefer to spend more time making music than mapping the controller to the software...

Yea i hear you. Im hearing the MPK is better built with more features. A lot of problems with the quality of the axiom. Im gonna go over to GC today and feel around for myself today tho.

Are we talking axiom gen 1 or gen 2? I chose the MPK because it had more pads, better feeling keys, and the controls on the MPK worked better with Reason. A friend of mine has a gen 1 Axiom and we could not get it to work for the life of us. Idk why or what happened it just don't work right

Talking about the Gen 2 or even the Hyperkontrol if it wasn't so expensive. The feature of the hyperkontrol seem ideal. But the track record of the Akai products have always been up to par. Plus I've seen online ways and products to upgrade the MPK pads. You hear anything about how effective this is?

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Just ran across a M Audio Axiom 61 for 150 at GC used....I'm sure its Gen 1 though....any thoughts? Also there is a nice new Alesis QX49...anyone heard of this unit?

The Gen 1s are fine but thats the one I had issues with at my friends spot using Reason 4. The stock MPK pads suck but the Axiom's aren't much better. I haven't upgraded mine because I haven't decided if I am going to sell it and buy a MPK 61 or not. but yeah the pads on the MPK suck and I hear they are much better once upgraded. They are still useable though.

Yea I had a chance to feel and touch the MPKs vs Axioms todays and Im sold on the MPK. I almost got a alesis qx4 because it had the pads too, but it doesnt compare. MPK49 or 61 its is!
Ok Im on to this Black Ops now....Peace!

Well we don't have Guitar Centre in Australia, but last time I went to Billy Hide (Which is pretty much the same thing) they had only the Axiom plugged in and set up, so I couldn't have a feel of the sensitivity of the MPK pads. The Axiom pads were a little bit tough, if I do say so myself. The MPK is also noticeably larger and heavier than the Axiom.
I had a chat to one of the staff there. He said he prefers the Axiom because it's the midi mapping feature is actually really good. I'm pretty sure the last generation of Axiom didn't have a mapping feature or anything... I also asked him about the Axiom Pro. He said that they haven't brought out a second generation of it yet, so technically the normal Axiom is more up-to-date. He didn't seem too worried about the pads on either controller, because he had an NI Maschine. He couldn't seem to get over how great they are...
I personally preferred the feel of the keys on the Axiom as well. They seemed to be exactly in between weighted and synth action, which was nice. The MPK keys were really similar though. A little towards the synth action side, maybe - which isn't such a bad thing I guess.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your replies so far!

Well thanks for sharing your opinion, guys. But do you think you could tell me why you chose it?

Help

maudio.jpg

Last month i bought axiom 49... but today i noticed 2 of the keys were loose.... when i opened the keyboard... i was shocked... all the keys were fastened to a rather tough spring(to give the keys a good bounce) and the springs were harnessed to a rather weak plastic anchor... so two of the plastics gave way resulting in the loose keys... other keys are also are in danger of breaking... help me how can i fix this... is there any spare in india? (i am from india)

what do you think about Novation Nocturn 49? It is better than Axiom 49?

I would recommend the Nocturn 49. The Fatar keys are much better than the no-name keys on the Axiom.

The pads on both keyboards (all keyboards, actually) are unimpressive and I would recommend a serious seperate drumpad controller if you like using pads (specifically, the KORG padKONTROL).

Back