Low-End Mix Feedback

AstetiK

I'm looking for some mixing feedback on a beat I'm working on. I'm still in the mixing phase, but wanted to get the low-end right before I finalize the rest of the track. This track consists of a fat, subby kick, so I've naturally been having trouble getting it to sit with the bass.

After doing some research and trial/error, I've realized that it's usually going to be a trade-off between whether the kick or the bass will occupy the lower sub frequencies. I made the decision on this particular track that the heavy low-end kick is more essential, so I high-passed some of the sub freq out of the bass.

The only issue I'm hearing is a strange duck in the attack of the bass...like there's sidechain compression going on when there isn't. Other than that. it sounds good to me, but I've been listening to this beat daily for a few weeks now lol. Any opinions/advice on how the kick and bass sound on this?
(The only "mastering" on this right now is some limiting and excitement)

During the first few bars of the verse the bass is ducked, so you can hear the kick on it's own.

If this thread belongs in the Showcase section, let me know and I can move it.
Thanks guys

the limiting will exacerbate (or even cause) any ducking you hear, this is why I always recommend that you do not have a limiter on while mixing - it is lying to you whilst you mix

for similar reasons I would also not put the exciter on - it is adding sparkle to your track before you know if you need it or not and so you deliberately mix it duller as the exciter adds back the upper freqs you remove

render your audio and upload it again then I will listen (I would prefer to hear the wav file though not the soundcloud 128kbps mp3 stream)

Those are great points. I actually wasn't mixing with the limiter and exciter, it just happened to be the version I exported for listening purposes. I'll be sure to get up another version asap

Here's a new version I uploaded without the limiter and exciter. It's still on Soundcloud, though. Any suggestions of where I can upload that will stream it as a WAV file?

Last edited:
Here's a new version I uploaded without the limiter and exciter. It's still on Soundcloud, though. Any suggestions of where I can upload that will stream it as a WAV file?

nowhere that actually streams wav that I know of - lots of discussion but little insight to anyone doing it.

what you could do is upload to a server somewhere and then link to that location and let the browsers plug-in (in most cases Quicktime or html5 audio) handle the streaming

a quick listen and it sounds fine to me - do you still notice ducking (I couldn't hear any on my internet computer's monitors)? and certainly there is no need for an exciter or any limiting of any consequence (maybe some for faux-loudness mastering but subtle not ott)

a quick listen and it sounds fine to me - do you still notice ducking (I couldn't hear any on my internet computer's monitors)? and certainly there is no need for an exciter or any limiting of any consequence (maybe some for faux-loudness mastering but subtle not ott)

I do still notice minor ducking. The bass seems like it gets masked by the sustain of the kick, and I don't hear it when I mute the kick. Maybe because they occupy the same frequencies? Either way I actually don't mind it much so it isn't a huge deal. Gives the effect of a sidechain comp which can sound cool

Back