Looking For Some Guidance

K

KrayZOfficial

Hi, I'm a 15 year old from London, just started making beats around 7 months ago, and creatively I'm stuck at where to improve next. I mainly produce UK Grime music and a bit of Hip Hop, and I guess I've been a bit arrogant in thinking how hot my beats are. My arrogance has led me to sending beats to several rappers on Twitter etc, only to have them ignore my beats. Last week, I sent a few beats to an artist (including a beat from youtube to judge which one he might have liked) only for him to say that the beat I got off youtube was the only one he could've worked with. I also have a friend who is a pretty good rapper, and the only criticism he has over my beats is that they sound good but aren't really 'spittable', which I don't understand. What makes something spittable? Is it a neat drum pattern, melody, bassline or all three? I'm looking for some constructive feedback on how I could improve and a feel for how long it would take to consistently make hot beats?

Thank you, to find my tracks please search KrayZ_Official on SC

I got a similar issue i entered a contest a while back called Nwp producer tournament they gave feedback, my crits was basically for that sample i had too much goin on :/
They let everybody know what they did wrong and right maybe you should ask a few professionals somewhere?

yeah...you got a point lol.Well this is pretty complicated (unexplained feeling of ease though) but learning it is pretty fun.

There's a few guys on this very site who posted tutorials and shit : D im still beginner type but some helpful advice would be these following words:

Learn musical notes this helps you find notes so much faster, it would not necessarily make you tier 1 but it helps speed up the process by hours.
Practice sampling alot(this one is actually harder to do than synthesis for me :/)
Learn synthesis (pretty easy for less complicated sounds, you can even make your own)
I havent learned music theory but some of these dudes most likely have so i'd recommend it.
I also, highly recommend pressing the piano keys until you can hear the notes before pressing them.

7 months is nothing in mastering anything in life...
It's not a question of what should i practice next...
You need to try n master what u have learned so far while incorporating new things...
It's not as simple as a fly bassline or funky drums...
Its music... work on everything

Listen to commercial beats/songs that you think is really dope. Then play yours. I just did that.
Yours does not have what it takes. Yet.
You GOTTA learn to hear the difference between yours and premium beats. Then you GOTTA learn how to make them premium sounding beats.
THEN you are ready to branch out; making your own sounding great beats. Learn the tools and the techniques for now.

Have patience and keep banging. Use your ears and grind on.

Last edited:
Back