Looking for monitors

beethoven77

Hello. I am looking for my first pair of studio monitors and need your opinions on the following monitors.

I live in New Zealand so the prices are noticeably higher than in US. All the prices are for a pair.

Presonus Eris E4.5 - $253.50 USD
KRK Rokit RP5G3 - $411.50 USD
Mackie MR5MK3 - $411.50 USD
JBL LSR305 - $493.70 USD

I really want to try out the JBLs but my local stores don't have them. I have listened to the Rokit 6s and the Mackie MR8s in store and I preferred the latter much more. The rokits seemed to have a boomy bass and sounded bit muddy. The mackies were very clear and the bass seemed tight. But I am not an expert so I could be wrong.

If you were to pick from this list, considering the price as well, which ones would be the best pick for you personally?

i work with KRK ROKIT 5 monitors and I am cool with that

someone may not be cool with that, I am cool with that, it gives me a pleasant sound for my bedroom, they can play louder than what I care about to listen to in my bedroom and they don't have like super-good bass but they have a pleasant bass

you have to be aware that something like 5 inch monitors cannot sound as good as something bigger like an 8, 10 inch monitors, because it happens that bigger speakers are capable to play louder without distortion and produce more bass of the frequencies which goes below 100 hz

I am not trying to disappoint you here but you should be aware of the expectations that you have from and not end up disappointed when you get those, but I am cool with 5 inch KRK ROKIT 5 and someone may be cool with headphones its up to you to decide what makes you feel more comfortable to work with I am not comfortable with headphones

there is also this " COLORED " idea that people talk about but even if its COLORED I don't care about it if they sound good to me to work with, and I prefer to work with COLORED monitors instead of having EAR FATIGUE ISSUES

BTW I don't know which one of these guys is better because I didn't work with my friends use to say THE MOST EXPENSIVE ONE is the best one, I don't really think its true because lots of times something less expensive may happen to be better so they can sell products and compete with the most famous ones or whatsoever reason is , its not always the most expensive one the best one

BTW :
when it comes to buying these kind of expensive things I think it is always a good idea to check out the used one maybe for the same price you can get oneself pair of 8 INCH KRK and SUBWOOFER and try to guess how cool is that , because there are people who may quit on music or maybe want to upgrade to something else or whatsoever reason you just need to make sure if there is something wrong with the product

Thank you for your reply. I have decided to gamble and get the Samson Resolv SE5's which were on sale for nearly half the price of JBL LSR305's. I heard very positive reviews about them so hopefully they will be good.

Back