lookin to get an sp 303...

36 chamber music

what up fp, im lookin' to buy a new piece of hardware in the near future.

im not sure whether im goin to buy a turntable or the sp 303. I may just buy both, im not sure yet. I currently use fl 9 with a mpk25 controller with a tascam 144 interface. I REALLY wanna have more hardware in my setup, ive been researching and the sp 303 or the 404 seems to be for me.

few questions before i make a decision...
1. is it worth getting an sp 303 if i dont get a turntable along with it to sample from?
2.Would i be dumb to buy a 303 when theres a 404 available with more memory (but more money)?
3. if i could only choose one between a turntable or a sp 303 to add to my setup, would i be dumb if i bought a sp 303 before a turntable?

The best thing about the 404 (and why I'd choose it) is the fact that you can play sounds without recording them while you're sequencing (they call it "rehearsing" sounds). On the 303 you can't rehearse and it's a pain to play something you may not like, then having to go back and delete it.

However, both are SUUUUPER dope machines. Try to find a 404 used for like $250-300, and a used Stanton Str8-80 or Str8-100 for like $100. You'll be way cool w/ those two.

Dope thanks man, looks like I'll have too save more money, lol

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Any turntable mixers u recommend?

For cheap, I love the American Audio Q-D5, but it may be discontinued. New they used to run about $160, and they have an optical crossfader so it moves a lot more smoothly than one you'd find on a shitty Numark/Stanton low-end mixer.

Other than that, something from the Stanton SA or Vestax PMC series used would be alright, as long as it's in good working condition. Those are nice because you can replace the crossfaders on them with REALLY nice aftermarket ones when you get good and start demanding more from it.

For cheap, I love the American Audio Q-D5, but it may be discontinued. New they used to run about $160, and they have an optical crossfader so it moves a lot more smoothly than one you'd find on a shitty Numark/Stanton low-end mixer.

Other than that, something from the Stanton SA or Vestax PMC series used would be alright, as long as it's in good working condition. Those are nice because you can replace the crossfaders on them with REALLY nice aftermarket ones when you get good and start demanding more from it.

thanks man I really appreciAte the help, u recomend a Stanton str8 100 over a technics 1200?

No, but the Str8-100 is a good cheap starter turntable. You'll probably pay $200 minimum for a 1200 w/ no needle, but I've seen Str8-100's for $100 with good needles on them. The nice thing about the Str8-100 is that you can change the pitch range and play it in reverse, but they don't have the same torque or accuracy of pitch that Technics do. However, they're a hell of a lot better than most turntables out there, so if you can find one for cheap I'd go for it.

One other thing is, you can sample ANYTHING into the SP-303 it doesn't have to be a turntable. Sample Youtube or iPods or CD's to get started and save for a turntable.

No, but the Str8-100 is a good cheap starter turntable. You'll probably pay $200 minimum for a 1200 w/ no needle, but I've seen Str8-100's for $100 with good needles on them. The nice thing about the Str8-100 is that you can change the pitch range and play it in reverse, but they don't have the same torque or accuracy of pitch that Technics do. However, they're a hell of a lot better than most turntables out there, so if you can find one for cheap I'd go for it.

One other thing is, you can sample ANYTHING into the SP-303 it doesn't have to be a turntable. Sample Youtube or iPods or CD's to get started and save for a turntable.

yeah no doubt, but im gettin a turntable before i get the sp, unless u highly recomend otherwise? i just started a thread about scratching in software cuz i thought i made up my mind about getting the turntable before the sp, now u got me thinking. lol!!!

i feel like a turntable is more important to me, although i am kinda gettin sick of only makin beats with my mpk and fl...

yeah no doubt, but im gettin a turntable before i get the sp, unless u highly recomend otherwise? i just started a thread about scratching in software cuz i thought i made up my mind about getting the turntable before the sp, now u got me thinking. lol!!!

i feel like a turntable is more important to me, although i am kinda gettin sick of only makin beats with my mpk and fl...

Man you should probably get the sp first imo...it's very fun to use and if you are trying to sample just get some albums online. It's not the same as digging for vinyl but to start it will hold you over till you get your turntable. Trust me on that one, definately the sp over the turntable first. It was one of my most happiest purchases, it's very fun plus with the music u have u could send the waves to the sp and make something totally different. The possibilities are endless. Good luck!

Man you should probably get the sp first imo...it's very fun to use and if you are trying to sample just get some albums online. It's not the same as digging for vinyl but to start it will hold you over till you get your turntable. Trust me on that one, definately the sp over the turntable first. It was one of my most happiest purchases, it's very fun plus with the music u have u could send the waves to the sp and make something totally different. The possibilities are endless. Good luck!

appreciate your feedback man..

i dont know what to do, lol!!! i think ill get a turntable in like a week n wait about 2 months to get the sp, i think thats my best option...

i cant wait to have both tho, i feel like ill like it so much more then my midi controller and fl!!!

Back