Logic Pro, Reason or Pro Tools?

Oh thats cool, just wondering why Pro Tools ain't so popular on youtube,rocbattle and FP, cuz its an industry standard.

So many people using it (professionals)

KanyeShrug1.jpg

Not sure. Most people on FP seem to use FLStudio from what I see. Plus for the longest Pro Tools handling of virtual instruments, midi and etc... was not up to par with some of its competitors. It was more geared toward recording and mixing at the time.

If im not wrong, FL Studio got most plug-in sounds right? Because VSTs are only available in FL Studio, pro tools needs other format than VST, logic too, I dont know if Reason can take in sounds? maybe version 6 can? Can someone confirm? Im going for Reason 6 100% if they can have plug in sounds like VSTs

VST was invented by Steinberg (the makers of Cubase) and they shared the technology with other companies. It was such a popular cross-platform standard that even Logic used it, but in typical Apple fashion they ended up developing their own proprietary format called Audio Units in an attempt to corral users into using exclusive Apple products (this is why they bought Logic in the first place) the big drawback to this is that there are far less AU plugins than VST plugins.

If im not wrong, FL Studio got most plug-in sounds right? Because VSTs are only available in FL Studio, pro tools needs other format than VST, logic too, I dont know if Reason can take in sounds? maybe version 6 can? Can someone confirm? Im going for Reason 6 100% if they can have plug in sounds like VSTs

On top of what holland stated: Pro Tools uses RTAS and now AAX format. VST is the most commonly used virtual instrument and effect format on PC's. VST is accepted in more than FL. No VST's in Reason, no biggie though as Reason users can alway rewire into a daw that does accept VST very easily.

On top of what holland stated: Pro Tools uses RTAS and now AAX format. VST is the most commonly used virtual instrument and effect format on PC's. VST is accepted in more than FL. No VST's in Reason, no biggie though as Reason users can alway rewire into a daw that does accept VST very easily.

VST is commonly used on Macs too, in fact it was first launched on the Mac, but the main reason VST is still commonly used is because it was made to be cross-platform so it could be used by everyone as opposed to some platform specific shit that works exclusively with just one product, so from a legal standpoint you can wrap a VST so it will work in Pro Tools but you can't wrap an RTAS to work in a VST host like Ableton Live for example, so a lot of developers have a preference towards VST.

so AAX for pro tools, AU for Logic pro 9 and VST for FL studio and cubase?

Which means, There are most VSTs, then second most AU then last AAX?

Kind of like, Apple has more apps than Android right? VST > AU > AAX

This is so confusing haha cuz i really want many plug in sounds... but Logic has only a few? and pro tools even less? im wrong?

so AAX for pro tools, AU for Logic pro 9 and VST for FL studio and cubase?

Which means, There are most VSTs, then second most AU then last AAX?

Kind of like, Apple has more apps than Android right? VST > AU > AAX

This is so confusing haha cuz i really want many plug in sounds... but Logic has only a few? and pro tools even less? im wrong?

Most big developers make products that include options to install them in a range different plugin formats, it's just that Logic users miss out on a huge amount of (often free) VST instruments from smaller independent developers.

Reason is pretty solid, plus they are allowing 3rd party development/plugins in now! Cha ching.

I use all three, but for different things. Reason for creating the music, Logic for creating, tracking and mixing, and Pro Tools for Tracking, editing and final mixing. If I had to pick only one, it would be Logic... mostly for the instruments and loops.

Yeh, i agree it just depends on whats most suited to you and your needs.

..from my experience i have found that Reason its a lot of peoples favorite midi sequencer software, but that doesn't mean its the perfect choice for you. I advise downloading some demo's and trial and error, you'll find the perfect one for you...eventually :sigh:.

Last edited:
^
Just tried FL studio demo without midi keyboard, it was a headache, but the possibillities are really endless, you can make a hit if you master the program really, i dont like the look of it either, but its a great daw, dont know if i should spend time learning it? I think my workflow in Reason and Logic is 10x faster.. at least for now.

Back