Logic Pro 8 System Overload Issue

W

wiseguyzent

Hello all,

I want to start by saying that I have already researched this topic in depth using the search function and google before posting here as a last resort. Recently I have experienced the System Overload Error in Logic Pro 8 every time I open up a recent project. The project has 23 individual midi tracks, none of which are plug-in or automation heavy (I have about 6 tracks which are using automation for cutoff) and about 6 tracks using individual reverbs from logic's space designer. I also using sidechain compression but I created a bus/aux for this, and I have about 4 tracks set up to receive sidechain from the bus. Each time I open this project or even attempt to hit play with no midi tracks armed for recording, I get the system overload msg.

I have even increased my i/o buffer to 1024 samples, recording delay to 256 samples, and process buffer range to large. I have also decreased the number of unused voices on each instance of the exs 24 to what is required for each track.

Below are my system specs and I have around 135 gbs of free space out of 250. Each time I begin to hit play I see the CPU level at the bottom of logic pro go in to the red peak and then the sys overload message is displayed. The same issue even happens when I have muted all tracks and soloed just one. Any ideas/tips are appreciated. Is it time for me to get a new mac? Thanks, below are my current system specs and I have a motu ultralite mk3 interface.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

May want to try loading the file on another Mac. It could just be something shotty going on with the file. Are you running OSX Lion? I ask because I think it causes problems with earlier vers. of Logic.

While you Mac is Dated, it should be able to handle anything being thrown at it by Logic. It's not that far from the specs of the NEWEST iMacs(remember Mac OSX doesn't run like PC, so the Processor isn't pushed the same way, so what seems like a big jump on PC is gonna make a small difference with Mac especially since OSX is dedicated to running on your specific machine).

That problem you're describing is typical with Logic. It's been like that since long before Apple took over Logic from Emagic. I had the same problem when I was running Logic on my Mac years ago. Seems like the problem got better when I added more ram, but if it were that simple then I would think it wouldn't really be a problem. That same problem seems to also plague Cakewalk Sonar since the beginning of time. I don't know what it is about those two sequencers that they have this overload/dropout/sequencer stop problem. Look around the net, you'll find plenty of discussion about this problem and you might find a solution.

No, I am running Mac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.8.

---------- Post added 09-19-2011 at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was 09-18-2011 at 08:03 PM ----------

Do you think updating my OS and/or purchase logic 9 would alleviate the issue?

I don't think that will help, but I could be wrong. I would try to disable a few of the larger plugins in use, and bounce a few tracks down to stems. This will release a lot of memory. Depending on the tracks, you may be able just to get away with a few bars of a loop, instead of the whole project length of audio (again saving resources). I've had this problem back in Logic 5, and that always fixed it. I had ran out of usable memory on the system, and back then logic could only address 2GB of ram total and the system could not have more then 2GB of ram or logic would crash. So I would disable say, Kontakt, so the plugin would not load. Load up the project, bounce whatever that was not loaded by Kontakt. Then save the project as a new file name, remove plugins that I had previously bounced, then re-enable Kontakt in a new project with the stems instead of the plugins. Also, do not run a lot of application in the background while Logic is open, this will help. I think in Logic 9, if you are in a project and go to open another plugin/track that could cause the memory issue, it displays a message now. One time I recorded like 30 guitar parts, and exported each to an individual track. On track 31 I got the message and noticed that I had Guitar Rig copied on each track.. I don't know if Logic 8 has that message.

hmm odd. ive only got that warning once and i just pressed play again and it was fine :s

Back