Logic 9 & Multi-Out Instruments

j.troup

I'm making the switch from Cubase 5 to Logic, and I have some questions about Multi Out VSTi's, such as Stylus and Omnisphere.

I know how to get the extra outputs, by creating a multi-timberal software instrument, then just hitting the + button on the track, to get the extra Aux's. Took forever to figure out, but I got that part down. Here are my questions:

1) When all 8 of the Multi-Timberal tracks are created, they are all linked together. The volume, solo/mute, etc. Say I want to mute out the 2nd midi part of that instrument...how do i do that, aside from actually muting the midi section?

2) I don't necessarily need ALL of the multi-timberal tracks, starting off. Is there any way I can add more tracks to the same Multi-Timberal bus, later? I can start off with 1-2, but say I want to add 3-4, halfway through the session. Can I do that, or is it an all or nothing type of thing?

I think that's it for right now. Thanx in advance everybody!

Have you tried automation..? Thats how you would do the first part, as for the second part.. what is wrong with having more tracks then you need? maybe it confusing I guess

I guess you're attracted to Logic's nice instruments, fx, presets and track presets. Very nice stuff in Logic. That's what attracted me to it. But the headaches of the illogical way it worked killed it for me. I eventually went back to Cubase. I miss the nice content from Logic though. I do remember trying to do something simple like make a track and finding that the next tracks I made were linked to the first. It was crazy. The answer I found was in the environment. I think Logic Studio might have addressed some of the craziness of Logic, but I can't remember. It's been a long time.

j.troup:
I have some questions about Multi Out VSTi's

1) When all 8 of the Multi-Timberal tracks are created, they are all linked together. The volume, solo/mute, etc. Say I want to mute out the 2nd midi part of that instrument...how do i do that, aside from actually muting the midi section?

Highlight a segment in a track and press 'M' on the keyboard instead of the Mute/Solo buttons (because those, as you've noticed, mute the whole multi-timbral instrument). And you can use the Scissors tool to easily (and non-destructively) split your track into sections. 'S' does the same for solo, btw.

Logic pretty much sucks with multi-timbral instruments. In Pro-Tools and MOTU's DP you can easily control volumes (and pan, other attributes) for individual instruments in a single, multi-timbral instance of Kontakt, for example. But in Logic, it always controls the whole damn thing, for all its tracks.

L.A. Stone:
I do remember trying to do something simple like make a track and finding that the next tracks I made were linked to the first.

I don't have a clue what you're talking about. Linked? How? The only way a track can be "linked" is if it shares the same MIDI channel or something.

Is this before the Apple Logic? The Emagic versions? Because you certainly don't have to do anything like that (let alone mess with Environments) in the current version(s) of Logic Pro (a.ka Studio).

I don't have a clue what you're talking about. Linked? How? The only way a track can be "linked" is if it shares the same MIDI channel or something.

I just googled and copied and pasted this from a random forum. Some guy with this same question from 2008. I knew that it wasn't just me wondering what the heck Logic was doing.

"When I "Create track with next instrument" everything works as it should but I can guarantee that at out of a bunch of new tracks at least two are linked in some way. ie. Track 1 has midi instrument 1. When I select midi 2 for track two track it copies it.
This is the same for audio tracks, when I select record on one, record lights on another "Linked" track? "

There's a whole string of answers from people trying to guess why this is happening. I'm pretty sure I was using the first version after Apple took over Logic, before they tried to simplify things, but I also upgraded to Studio 8. But it's been a very long time and it gets confusing. But in those days, you certainly had to have some understanding of the environment to do more than dick around with Logic. The solution for me was to build what I expected to need in my project first in the environment. Then those things would be available to me in my project. Some things certainly did change with the "Studio" upgrade, but as far as I recall, not a whole lot. It's still a mess.

Back