Live dj'ing equivalent of jazz improvisaton

of zedsupreme

First thread good to be a member. Ive been beatmaking for nigh on a a year now using reason4. Results have been somewhat avant garde at least that was the intention. Rathrer my designs/intetions were avant and my results were.... well i'll post em up in time

In the spirit of playing ahead of the curve im wondering whether dj's such as daedelus who create tracks through sample manipulation live are the jazz musicians of the electronic age.

My question is to what extent we can make the compositional process live. How unrehearsed can an electronic composition become and could we reach a point where musicians such as those of brainfeeder/warp fame are the actual continuation of the jazz improvisational tradition.Was bill evans who described jazz less as a harmonic/rhythmic phenomenon but more of an approach to composition.

We even have the equivalent of the jazz standard with homage to the old funk gurus and a thrift store hunter's eye for a catchy sample to remix.

Last edited:
Interesting question. Surprised it didn't get more attention.

That said I think electronic music sort of is it's jazz of the day. Just think about the parties surrounding jazz in the early days and the reactions and emotions it evoked. That sort of thing seems rather rare now.

But not at an electronic music event. People loose it.

I mean people could do the same thing at a Jazz event and maybe somewhere out there they are. But it doesn't evoke that response from me.

But different types of electronic music do.

As electronic instruments evolve more I do think you'll start to see more live performance and remixing.

Back