Let me give you some advice if you are unsure about going the hardware route

If someone can afford a Fantom or a Motif, they can afford an analog synth. The problem with most analog synths is that they don't have midi, and a lot of people these days can't live without it, or they don't understand CV/gate interfacing. Analog synths aren't complex though. Well, not really. It can be confusing if you're new to it all, but really all anyone needs to do is just sit with one and modify everything until you get a tone you want. This morning I made a fat ass kick and snare with my SH-101 and sampled it.

You should use whatever inspires you to want to do it. Once you develop a comfortable workflow just stick with it, and implement things that allow it to grow. No need to switch to something ENTIRELY different just because you "think" its going to be more accomodating. Lets be honest, all of this stuff does the same thing. It Still takes the same amount of time to lay down snares on hardware as it does on software. (weather you lay them down manually for however many bars you want, or copy and duplicate). I have a mostly hardware setup but I've incorporated tons of vsti's and I track every thing into Cubase. And I use asr-x's as the "brain" of my production. Once I got use to it (over time) my workflow became pretty fluid.

Back