KRK Rokit with acoustic foam.

jayboy213

Do you think it's best to have most of the acoustic panels and bass traps in front of the speakers on the other side of the room rather than behind for these types of speakers?

Everything depends on your room and speaker placement within it. There isn’t a one-size- fits-all answer, unfortunately...

GJ

Everything depends on your room and speaker placement within it. There isn’t a one-size- fits-all answer, unfortunately...

GJ
image.jpgimage.jpg
That's what it looks like coming in and what it looks like at the back. Do you think the setup is better at the back or where it is at the moment? My speakers have front bass ports, so that's why I created this post. Idk if it would make a differenc.

Are those subs you have pointed towards the wall? Or am I misunderstanding the picture?
You should still do bass traps in the corners; right now you have foam that will only attenuate high end. Is that a random pattern? What I would suggest is adjusting your mix position slightly (bring the speakers out from the wall a bit more, and make sure you have a nice listening triangle). Then sit in your mix position with a mirror. Anywhere (walls) that you can see at that same parallel should get treatment. Your ceiling is pretty low so if it isn’t too reflective, that shouldn’t be a problem. I would suggest “decoupling” your speakers from the table(s); something as simple as mouse pads might do the trick.

Sometimes we are at the mercy of our non-purpose-built rooms. You have to deal with doors and windows in the wrong places, and make do. If you want to get really accurate, there are room measurement devices to see which frequencies you need to address.

GJ

Are those subs you have pointed towards the wall? Or am I misunderstanding the picture?
You should still do bass traps in the corners; right now you have foam that will only attenuate high end. Is that a random pattern? What I would suggest is adjusting your mix position slightly (bring the speakers out from the wall a bit more, and make sure you have a nice listening triangle). Then sit in your mix position with a mirror. Anywhere (walls) that you can see at that same parallel should get treatment. Your ceiling is pretty low so if it isn’t too reflective, that shouldn’t be a problem. I would suggest “decoupling” your speakers from the table(s); something as simple as mouse pads might do the trick.

Sometimes we are at the mercy of our non-purpose-built rooms. You have to deal with doors and windows in the wrong places, and make do. If you want to get really accurate, there are room measurement devices to see which frequencies you need to address.

GJ
Sounds like good advice, although a little too much, but thank you anyway.

The speakers are pointed in a triangle position. I like having a little space and I don't want it to hit my dj setup while laying back on my chair. I don't like them pads on the bottom of the speakers that I used to have beneath them and It will easily make the speakers slide off. The speakers do have isolation pads built on them and the fact that the raised table is there that is made of thin natural wood, I thought that would do the job. I could adjust the settings on the back of the speakers though (hf/lf adjust). Also I can't really put bass traps in the corners cause of the beams.

I just wanted to know if my speakers could be better on the other side of the room, but you haven't really answered that.

Here's the front view that I should've given you. The monitor on the left I was testing in a vertical position before if you're wondering why it's different: 7AF60EF1-7A55-4BE7-A1C7-1D22A2A626E4.jpeg
There are bass traps and a couple of panels on the left that you can't see.

I think I should just cope with what I have in place because this house is just not built for stuff like this.

Last edited:
Ok I am fine with where my speakers are since they have front facing bass ports. I have moved the table to about an inch away from the wall, but I don't want to go any further back. A long t of producers won't have any treatment and I feel like I have had my speakers for long enough now that I know the sound well enough (I can always check on different devices out and about as well). Because of the shape of the wall, I can't really put bass traps in front, but they're still more important behind by what I looked up recently. So if I was to move my setup to the other side 1. I think the beams would interfere with frequencies and 2. I wouldn't be able to have bass traps there. Thanks for your help though.

Oh, and also when I get back to music producing I will probably compared sound through my beyerdynamics to see if I need to adjust the lf/hf on my speakers.

Last edited:
Front wall or back shouldn’t matter, if they are the same dimensions. It’s long wall vs. short wall, and you can read articles advocating for both possibilities. As I pointed out initially, and you reiterated, sometimes we just have to deal with the space we have.

GJ

Back