KRK Rokit 5's

BmacMusic

Hello there! Im going to buy monitors within the next few weeks. I dont have a great budget, about €400! Ive been looking at the KRK RP5 rokits and I feel as if they fit the bill! I produce electronia music and some hip hop! Any ideas??

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

only saw there thats theres a hardware section! My bad!

These are what I use now. My first pair of monitors as I just started making my own tunes about 5 months ago and like you didn't really want to break the bank.

They sound pretty good, and electronic/House/Hip Hop is what I make and they fit the bill. Only prob is the bass and low end tends to get a little bit loud on these, and then when you hear same mix on other speakers you might be like "oh shit where's the bass" lol. I don't think they provide the best and most honest reflection of your sound, but for less than $400 they are decent. I'd imagine you can find better ones though, I like them, but don't love them, and will def be upgrading soon.

yes save up $200 more dollars
I wouldn't get anything that doesn't have 8" driver as your music you need true bass response
and all the basic KRK monitors are very colored

JBL monitors below are by far less colored not the best in the 8" driver active monitors arena lol. but much flatter response than the KRK from what I listened to at Guitar Center.
JBL LSR2328P | Sweetwater.com
as I'm have monitors with a
6 & 1/2" driver
now with some wack passive Tannoy Proto-j Monitors
but I have decent,just decent acoustic treatment
and

have them on stands

and

in a pretty much perfect listening triangle 3 feet away from my treated front wall,

I placed a small piece of masking tape on my floor where my chair is suppose to be

so I'm exactly the 4ft. from away from my monitors

as my monitors are exactly 4 ft. from each other
ProtoJ_350px-074015a645562f36859e5a1fd71fb07a.jpg

placement of monitors(listening triangle)+acoustic treatment+decent audio interface d/a converters are very important elements as well in your monitoring chain

but maybe you know all this

I can't wait to get away from low-grade studio monitors
feb. 2013 purchase below
JBL LSR4328P Pak | Sweetwater.com

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...rted/studio-upgrade-what-do-you-think-415775/

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Last edited:
Look, there is bad info here. Some of the best mixes I've ever heard came from 5" studio monitors. HS50m's and Alesis M1 Actives are light years beyond Rokits for getting a true mix. And I own LSR4328 monitors. Not amazing. Although the do sound great I don't think the price is justified. You would do better with Alesis M1 Actives and a killer treated room and LEARNING HOW THEY SOUND!

I have the JBL's, HS50m's, and Tannoy Passive monitors and the JBL's are the best sounding out of my group but the others aren't even close in price range.

If you want some ridiculous pro sounding speakers think about what kind of accuracy your looking for:

If you want a very clean stereo image look at Focal
If you want a very acoustic and open sounding speaker look at Dynaudio
If you want a stale but very accurate sounding speaker look at Genelec
If you want a tight bass response and silky highs look at Mackie
For great sound at a great price look at Tannoy or Event speakers.

But the best bang for the buck is hands down the Adam A7 monitors. Very accurate and affordable.

Yeah, 8" monitors in the average "bedroom producer" room are probably gonna be a bad idea, unless the room acoustics are very well handled. Sure, there's more bass, but most likely it's gonna be out of control.

Look, there is bad info here. Some of the best mixes I've ever heard came from 5" studio monitors. HS50m's and Alesis M1 Actives are light years beyond Rokits for getting a true mix. And I own LSR4328 monitors. Not amazing. Although the do sound great I don't think the price is justified. You would do better with Alesis M1 Actives and a killer treated room and LEARNING HOW THEY SOUND!

I have the JBL's, HS50m's, and Tannoy Passive monitors and the JBL's are the best sounding out of my group but the others aren't even close in price range.

If you want some ridiculous pro sounding speakers think about what kind of accuracy your looking for:

If you want a very clean stereo image look at Focal
If you want a very acoustic and open sounding speaker look at Dynaudio
If you want a stale but very accurate sounding speaker look at Genelec
If you want a tight bass response and silky highs look at Mackie
For great sound at a great price look at Tannoy or Event speakers.

But the best bang for the buck is hands down the Adam A7 monitors. Very accurate and affordable.

are you running your S/PDIF from your audio interface to S/PDIF digital inputs of the JBLs
I only got to hear them through analog out of audio interface to analog ins of the JBL
I plan on running them digital to digital
and I'm in a pretty decent size room in a finished basement that only used for my studio/office area
treated front wall,mixing cloud and bass traps in the corners and first reflection points done(all this is done with pro-grade acoustic foam I brought about 8 years ago,using what I got till I get my GIK room kit #4 in Feb.)
I understand if you're in a small bedroom with dressers/bed,etc... maybe 8" driver monitors wouldn't be ideal.
and what monitors are your go to for mixing sir...
thanks for your time

Last edited:
are you running your S/PDIF from your audio interface to S/PDIF digital inputs of the JBLs
I only got to hear them through analog out of audio interface to analog ins of the JBL

This only really moves the conversion point to the monitors - so it's worth considering which one has the better converters: your interface or the JBLs.

Yeah, dunno about the converters in either - just pointing out that it doesn't really change much necessarily.

and I'm in a pretty decent size room in a finished basement that only used for my studio/office area
treated front wall,mixing cloud and bass traps in the corners and first reflection points done(all this is done with pro-grade acoustic foam I brought about 8 years ago,using what I got till I get my GIK room kit #4 in Feb.)
I understand if you're in a small bedroom with dressers/bed,etc... maybe 8" driver monitors wouldn't be ideal.
and what monitors are your go to for mixing sir...
thanks for your time

I don't use the SPDIF. I never use the digital IO instead of the audio interface. Rarely is the conversion better in a piece of gear that was never designed to do conversion. It's like mic pre's with spdif out. Why spend money on a great sounding interface if your gonna use other converters?

All 8" speakers do is give you slightly extended bass response. It has little to do with getting a great mix. If you can hear the bass response, notice your cone movement, and learn what bass sounds like in them then 5" speakers are enough. I'm just saying I see people buy crap 8" speakers because they have "more complete freq response" over decent 5" speakers. People pick the size first. You should pick the price range first so you know what you can afford. Then pick something that fits the needs that you have. If you want a decent mix and make beats with your speakers loud get Mackie MR8's. If you only care what gets loud it doesn't matter what you pick as long as it has a great baffle. If you want a clean mix then get something detailed and has a clear stereo image.

I wouldn't suggest many 5" powered monitors because of their freq range and low wattage, period.

They're fine if you plan to cut everything in your mix below their range or leave it to run wild(not a problem in rock, country, and some pop music)...but when we're talking electronic genres and hip hop where you wanna take advantage of subs, 808s, LPFs and give your low end presence, 5" Monitors won't cut it. Add a sub, problem solved...but that's gonna take alot more control over a room to get sounding right than just going with 8" or more monitors to begin with.

Right now I got 15's with 6' mids running and still got a sub hooked up, i can fairly say that's overkill, lol. But most 5's lose their value beyond being reference sources. There are exceptions, but most run you a pretty penny. RP5s(that just suck) and even HS50s(while great reference monitors, I mean really great) aren't that exception. Don't get me wrong, there are 8" monitors that fall short to HS50s, but simply comparing HS50s and HS80s proves my point.

This is all in reference to low end. If your music doesn't put emphasis on low end, there are tons of 5" monitors that can do a great job.

okay I have budgeted $1,500 for new monitors probably could go up to $2,000 if need be
any recommendations??

most important is getting a great mix(for full songs)

keep in mind this will be in a treat room(front wall/bass traps,first reflection points,and mixing cloud) that's 20ft. by 15ft. in a finished basement

my bass always seems to be a problem on my end
using the passive Tannoy Proto-js with 6 & 1/2" driver

Morning Star you said you have the Tannoy Proto-js and the JBLs, I can't remember what else you said you have
what is your go to monitors(the ones you trust the most when mixing)????

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...rted/studio-upgrade-what-do-you-think-415775/

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Adams, focals and even some high end KRK's may be in order. For that much I'd look at trying them out in person before buying.

Focal CMS 65s, Dynaudio BM6As or Genelec 8030As would be what I'd look at at this price point.

Boy do I agree here. Focal and Dynaudio get my vote though. I've always thought Genelecs are extremely sterile sounding. Makes me think my music is boring. Although if it sounds exciting through Genelecs it will drop jaws elsewhere.

Bit late re-joining the thread here, cheers for the replies again! I ended up getting the KRK 5s and I honestly find them quite effective! Im in a small college apartment with 3 other people, and my bedroom is very small! For this space, I feel 8s would be too much and there would just be bass bouncing off the walls! Im not pretending to be as advanced as you guys are, but I feel the low end is represented quite well with these monitors and for me personally, I feel my mixes are sounding better! So whether it was the right decision or not, the monitors are helping improve my music and thats the reason I bought them in the first place! Bit early to be praising them, ive only had them 6 days now, but I can say that I am pretty happy with their performance at the moment! Admitedly, the room needs to be filled. Ive placed a few plants around, but thats basically it! Any ideas on that front, or any other recommendations? Cheers

They shouldn't be spread out too far and you should be pretty close to them too so the room isnt a HUGE deal if you do that. Also, it helps to use commercial tracks as references with them so you get to know how stuff should sound b/c they are not that accurate...the bass will trick you believe me. Use frequency analyzers too to help you from getting fooled too. I use them with a sub and can get a good, client satisfying mix with them but you have to get to know them.

i have those krk's 5 and i think there is a problem with the bass ...

Back