Korg Pad Kontrol / M-Audio Trigger Finger / Akai MPD 16

Thank you, PhobikONE, I'll have to look into the BCR and BCFs. Hehheh, way to make it more difficult for me! I was considering the MPD24, though, which seems to have some knobs and sliders built in... Those Behringer units are pretty cool, but I think I'd be overwhelmed with all that 'control'! Besides, I can always add one at a later date...

I guess I've got enough info to go browsing now! If only there were a physical store that had them all in stock... :rolleyes:

one LAST thing, I swear... How would I hook up the midi cable? I already have a microKorg in my soundcard's midi in and out ports; though the Korg has a midi through, would that be what I use? Also, do I need to return a midi signal to these pad controllers for any reason? It doesn't seem as though I'd have to...

Well, hell, thanks again :)

-ADAM

EDIT:
AdamOnline said:
Are there any alternatives to Battery?
Is Emulator-X similar to Battery? I have an EMU 1212... Would a pad-based midi controller work with Emulator X or am I confused as to Emulator X's purpose? I kind of like the idea of using my card's processor; but then again I like the portability/adaptability/compatibility of Battery...

Last edited:
to the original poster...with midi pads, u dont drag samples on to em...jus get that outta your head, it aint ever gonna happen...well for the topic i had a trigger finger...and well it wasnt workn for me...i found i banged out better drum patterns on my casio keyboard, because frankly, i didnt wana mess up the expensive trigger finger....yea, well i sold it...im still thinkn bout gettn the korg kontrol pad...even tho i figured out how to do rolls in reason.

To the debated question...my drum patterns were weak when i used the pads, and i gave up the velocity sensitivity for better patterns (I record the kick and the snare on the same take...not first kicks, then snares) and theyve gotten really better (i do have a novation remote, no im not a cheap ass).

Well i sold the TF for the same price i coppd it, which was 160, and another reason i didnt use it often was cuz the vibrations of me pounding on the pads went to the room beneath and i recieved complaints...sooooo there u have it, outta all the ones u mentioned, i recommend the padkontrol, it has some tight ass features and i heard the pads have better sensitivity.

I've had the padKontrol for a couple of months now but there is one negative aspect that I've found and that's to do with using an external pedal.

I didn't bother buying the Korg PS-1 pedal as I thought it to be too simple so I decided to build my own. I used a Piezo Transducer in order to utilise a velocity sensitive trigger. Put it all together and tested..

..The damn padKontrol doesn't support a velocity sensitive trigger on the pedal input! :( It's merely a switch type pedal input so the kick (or assigned sample) is a fixed velocity @ 127. Very disappointing if you want to use acoustic drum sounds.

Besides that, I'd recommend the padKontrol to anyone, over the trigger finger.

Okay, let me shed some light here. If you want to know more about Battery, check out this videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0io0IzEz4U (thanks skettalee).

I use Battery all the time. I also own a Trigger Finger that I use all the time. Anyway, let me tell you, Battery is great. Get it and you'll love it. The Trigger Finger is great too. Get it and you'll love it. And I'm not cheap either (as someone posted earlier). I currently own (and use all the time):
Novation X Station, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, Trigger Finger, Korg Triton Rack (3 expansion boards), Roland Fantom XR, Cubase SX3, NI Kontakt, NI Battery, Sampletank 2XL.

So, for all of you people using Cubase out there, the Drum VST that comes with Cubase is similar to Battery. It's nowhere near as powerful, and not as easy to use, but kind of similar in how they work. So, if you don't have the money for Battery, that can get you by in a pinch. There's free stuff out there that is also similar to Battery too (SR 202 or whatever it's called comes to mind). But you need something like Battery to get you by if you're doing drums. It doesn't have to be Battery, but it has to have cells you can load a sound into and Trigger whenever you want. So start out with that. You can do it on a keyboard, but it is better on the pads. A keybopard will absolutely get the job done though.

However, the main reason I bought my Trigger Finger, was because the keys on my Keystation Pro 88 are way too stiff to use for drums. You can't bang out the really safy sequences (hi hats, drum rolls, things like that) on the weighted keys of a Keystation Pro 88. I can do it just fine on my Novation X Station, but not on the Keystation Pro. So I bought the Trigger Finger specifically for drum use in my main home studio (the X-Station is a portable setup with my laptop, not really for use in my main home studio).

Anyway, the Trigger Finger is great. By default, without installing anything, no edits or anything, it works just fine in Battery and Cubase. It's class compiant, so you don't even need to install a driver in Wondows XP.

I have never used the Kord Pad Kontrol, so I can't comment on it. It looks nice though. I also haven't used the MPD24 (I don't even think it's shipping yet, is it?). But the trigger Finger with Battery (or similar software) will absolutely get the job done.

AdamOnline said:
Also, do I need to return a midi signal to these pad controllers for any reason? It doesn't seem as though I'd have to...

Not sure if anyone answered this, but the answer is no. There aren't any "sound module" or sequencing functions of these type of units, so there's no need to "return" midi info. The only real reason I could think of to even input into the midi-in of these devices, would be if you were sending midi-out of a keyboard control to the MPD/TF/PK midi-in, and then out it, into another device to use a single port. Do take in mind though that doing the latter will share the resources of that midi port, not expand channels.

Not to make selecting harder, but also take a look at Fxpansion's Guru as another good alternative, to Battery. Also, don't sleep on Battery's brethren Kontakt, it's a monster. To take nothing away from Battery, though, as I use it also.

------x

Relevent Muzik said:
I know how to spell the word relevant. I picked to spell relevent this way it is because it gave the word a different look if you have a problem with it talk to my marketing director who said this way gives it a different look a attractive style. And each letter stands for something.

Okay. No. Really. I believe you. Makes me wish I had a marketing director that helped me mispell words, too -- most of the ones I know are too preoccupied with expanding demographic and surveying the market and such. Me do be mispelting good dwe, sumptimes.

School Time!! All the kids say, "Yay!!". *cue Mario Paint theme music* -- Today class we're going to study the proper uses of periodic abbreviation and acronym in modern western culture. Lesson one: to make a word's initial letters denote a multi-word, one must successfully use periodic conclusion, like one would in ending a sentence or phrase --- as in F.B.I = Federal Bureau of Investigation. Pipe down, class, pipe down! I know, you're saying, " but periods are ugly and uncool". Well, there is an alternative. You can denote a proper abbr. or acronym, without periodic conclusion, but how? Well, by using letter case -- as in FBI = Federal Bureau of Investigation. In converting sub or lower case to upper, you've declared importance of conclusives, even without the punctuations. However, without these two rules, your claims are total bullsh!t, kids!

Okay now class, let's go eat bananas and marbles at lunch.

Rodney is for Rodney Jerkins. I suggested his way because he a known producer that has made more hits then you will EVER IN LIFE MAKE. Sorry to say. Do your research on him :-/

What's your point? Nothing against Mr.Jerkins, because I don't know him personally, but...! Simply because you admire someone doesn't mean his/her opinions are correct, nor that they are the only or best option. Simply because someone is "successful" in your idea of "successful" doesn't mean that their opinions are correct, nor that they are the best or only options.

He "made more hits then I will EVER IN LIFE MAKE"? And you know this how? I assume that you're so sure because of your lack of confidence in your own work or future, so you assume everyone else on FP are limited to the same range as your potential. Do you think Mr.Jerkins came out the womb with hits? Nah, I doubt that. Ever think that maybe he was in the same place a lot of people here are in, without "hits"? Ever think some of us may even be still teens (I'm not, but still)? So, you not knowing who I am, what I've done, nor what I will do, how could you assume that I'm anything like you? Hell, I could very well not even make beats or produce, I could be strictly a sound designer, or something of that nature. But, let's suppose you're right about "never making a 'hit". Have you ever considered not everyone's idea of success is hitting the charts, posing in front of rented cars and cribs with "they bitchez, yo"? I mean, OH MY, there are even those who don't even want mainstream popularity, but rather own the streets! What?! And there are even those who don't even do Hip Hop or such, who may already be financially successful in a whole other genre that you aren't even familiar with?! My lord, the blaspheme! Which one of them, could I be? Hmmm. Lots of possibilities with 75,995 FP members and counting huh? And all of them different. Some may even be one of your "favorite producer idols". :bigeyes:

Try harder. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
hel said:
Not sure if anyone answered this, but the answer is no. There aren't any "sound module" or sequencing functions of these type of units, so there's no need to "return" midi info. The only real reason I could think of to even input into the midi-in of these devices, would be if you were sending midi-out of a keyboard control to the MPD/TF/PK midi-in, and then out it, into another device to use a single port. Do take in mind though that doing the latter will share the resources of that midi port, not expand channels.

Not to make selecting harder, but also take a look at Fxpansion's Guru as another good alternative, to Battery. Also, don't sleep on Battery's brethren Kontakt, it's a monster. To take nothing away from Battery, though, as I use it also.

------x

Okay. No. Really. I believe you. Makes me wish I had a marketing director that helped me mispell words, too -- most of the ones I know are too preoccupied with expanding demographic and surveying the market and such. Me do be mispelting good dwe, sumptimes.

School Time!! All the kids say, "Yay!!". *cue Mario Paint theme music* -- Today class we're going to study the proper uses of periodic abbreviation and acronym in modern western culture. Lesson one: to make a word's initial letters denote a multi-word, one must successfully use periodic conclusion, like one would in ending a sentence or phrase --- as in F.B.I = Federal Bureau of Investigation. Pipe down, class, pipe down! I know, you're saying, " but periods are ugly and uncool". Well, there is an alternative. You can denote a proper abbr. or acronym, without periodic conclusion, but how? Well, by using letter case -- as in FBI = Federal Bureau of Investigation. In converting sub or lower case to upper, you've declared importance of conclusives, even without the punctuations. However, without these two rules, your claims are total bullsh!t, kids!

Okay now class, let's go eat bananas and marbles at lunch.

What's your point? Nothing against Mr.Jerkins, because I don't know him personally, but...! Simply because you admire someone doesn't mean his/her opinions are correct, nor that they are the only or best option. Simply because someone is "successful" in your idea of "successful" doesn't mean that their opinions are correct, nor that they are the best or only options.

He "made more hits then I will EVER IN LIFE MAKE"? And you know this how? I assume that you're so sure because of your lack of confidence in your own work or future, so you assume everyone else on FP are limited to the same range as your potential. Do you think Mr.Jerkins came out the womb with hits? Nah, I doubt that. Ever think that maybe he was in the same place a lot of people here are in, without "hits"? Ever think some of us may even be still teens (I'm not, but still)? So, you not knowing who I am, what I've done, nor what I will do, how could you assume that I'm anything like you? Hell, I could very well not even make beats or produce, I could be strictly a sound designer, or something of that nature. But, let's suppose you're right about "never making a 'hit". Have you ever considered not everyone's idea of success is hitting the charts, posing in front of rented cars and cribs with "they bitchez, yo"? I mean, OH MY, there are even those who don't even want mainstream popularity, but rather own the streets! What?! And there are even those who don't even do Hip Hop or such, who may already be financially successful in a whole other genre that you aren't even familiar with?! My lord, the blaspheme! Which one of them, could I be? Hmmm. Lots of possibilities with 75,995 FP members and counting huh? And all of them different. Some may even be one of your "favorite producer idols". :bigeyes:

Try harder. :rolleyes:

Co-Sign. Talk about a son-in'!

This is why hel is so respected here, tons of great and insightful information.

Back