Korg M3...Yamaha Motif

Dumont

I'm gonna get a new workstation. I want to either get a korg m3 or a motif. I heard that the drums in the m3 are better than the motif but i really like the strings in the motif. but the strings in the m3 arn't bad either. so which one would you guys recommend?

The Kronos is dope. That's what I would get. I love the Motif but the big touch screen is so much more intuitive. Plus it had the solid state hard drive. Go with the Korg. You'll like it.

Yea the Kronos blows the motif out the water. It has way more features.

I spent about 3-4 hours in GC the other day. My conclusion.....Motif. I had a Korg Karma, went to Motif XS, saw Kronos......got hype. GC is having their 4th of July sale and I went to demo Kronos. The Pianos, especially EP's were dope, but other than that the Motif won in a lot of categories. Guitars, Strings, Horns, etc....Motif. The synths i would give to Kronos. Basically, I went in expecting Kronos to wreck shop and left thinking.....it sounds good, but I am not sure i want to drop that bread, when my Motif XS sounds as good, and even better in a lot of the categories.

Last edited:
the kronos looks like a bootleg ass oasys

I wouldn't call it a bootleg Oasys, it is in fact pretty much an Oasys in a smaller package, but it was a good quality board. However, at $2999, i wasn't compelled....at least yet to swoop it. My Motif XS sounds better in a lot of categories to me. I would break it down like this;

Acoustic Piano - Kronos, although the Motif's sound fuller, the Kronos is clean as hell
Electric Piano - Kronos
Acoustic Guitars - Motif
ELectric Guitar - Motif
Organ - About a tie
Strings - Motif
Horns - Motif
Synths - Kronos
Drums - Maybe Kronos, i didn't spend a lot of time demo'ing the drums
Acoustic Bass - Motif
Synth Bass - Kronos

Basically, Korg is killing the Piano game right now, but the other Bread and Butter categories, the Motif held ground. Strangely enough, i could not find many spanish type guitar patches on the Kronos. The Kronos probably has more capabilities with the 9 engines to make your own patches, but straight out the box presets, the only categories that i would all out give to Kronos is pianos, and synths only by a little. If i didn't have a workstation, i would possibly get it, but after hearing it in person......it sounds great, but it made me realize how great my Motif sounded also, and didn't make it worth it to sell off the Motif to replace with Kronos. I still may get one just as a gear junkie, but my Motif will probably stay in the center spot.

im just saying the board its self in not apealing its just a ungly board. like the triton pretty board the oasys is pretty the m3 thats were it goes down hill from there an the kronos is just ewww. it like when ford tryed to bring back the old thunderbird look in a modern day style just now working for me. im not talking what in the board cause it is a power house i just think the should have work on the apeal of the board

im just saying the board its self in not apealing its just a ungly board. like the triton pretty board the oasys is pretty the m3 thats were it goes down hill from there an the kronos is just ewww. it like when ford tryed to bring back the old thunderbird look in a modern day style just now working for me. im not talking what in the board cause it is a power house i just think the should have work on the apeal of the board

I think the board looks fine, the design was quality to me.

I think it depends on what you want to get out of a board. The M3 is better for synthesis where as the motif I find has better stock sounds. If your looking for great sounding presets then maybe the motif may be a better option but if you are into sound design and synthesis I would say go with the M3.

I own an M3 and for me it is a great board with endless potential to make new sounds. The Kronos looks to be great but I don't think I am going to be in too much of a rush to upgrade as I feel the difference will not be that drastic. I have used a motif on several occasions and it is a fantastic board but for me the M3 was more suited to my need. However, I don't feel you will be disappointed by either.

Have you thought about by a good midi controller and a ton of VST's? for the money you will spend on one of these high end boards in might be a better option.

I'm a Korg guy, and the Kronos looks and sounds amazing. The Motif is a beast of a board as well, it all depends on what you prefer. Workstations and music are like food, just because I like steak and you don't doesn't mean steak is necessarily good or bad, it just means we have different tastes. Peace

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Oh and I love my Triton Extreme, it's beastly. Sexy as hell with the valve tube and the blue led's!

I wouldn't buy any workstation based on the drum sounds, as long it has a sampler, you can get much better drums for free all over the net. The ones in the workstations are average at best from my exp.

I heard the kronos on the namm demo and I agree that the piano's and ep's sounded amazing. Nothing else really caught my ear, but if I had the money I'd gert the kronos, and thats from someone who bought a motif specifically for piano/ep. I thought the Motif had the best in that category, but I liked the way the kronos sounded better. Just my personal taste though. Its a lot of money to spend on a workstation just for a pianos. So better make sure you like other sounds in it.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

I'm a Korg guy, and the Kronos looks and sounds amazing. The Motif is a beast of a board as well, it all depends on what you prefer. Workstations and music are like food, just because I like steak and you don't doesn't mean steak is necessarily good or bad, it just means we have different tastes. Peace

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Oh and I love my Triton Extreme, it's beastly. Sexy as hell with the valve tube and the blue led's!

The Extreme has tubes in it? Is all the audio output through the tubes or how is it set up? I never knew that. Pretty cool. More synths should utilize tubes.

Back