Kontakt 4 Allocate Memory error ?

Walid Feghali

Hi!

Im working in Cubase 6 (Windows 7 x64), and Im currently up at around 20 kontakt 4 tracks, and I'm getting this error:

Kontakt 4
PANIC: Could not allocate enough memory. Application is likely to become unstable.

And the application gets unstable and crashes, as foretold.

But when I check my RAM usage (I have 8GB RAM available), it's using around 4-5 GB, while I have 3-4 GB of RAM left.

I also have an i5 quad processor.

Please, any help would be appreciated!

- W

What memory have you allocated to Cubase? What memory to Kontakt? What is the priority of the two processes in the processes panel of the Task Manager?

I have no idea how to check the memory allocation... Is it the "Private Working Set"? In that case, there's something called VST Bridge and that's taking up 1.5GB of Private memory thingy.
The priority on VST Bridge is set to Normal, and Cubase is set to High.

Hope this makes any sense :S

- W

I have no idea how to check the memory allocation... Is it the "Private Working Set"? In that case, there's something called VST Bridge and that's taking up 1.5GB of Private memory thingy.
The priority on VST Bridge is set to Normal, and Cubase is set to High.

Hope this makes any sense :S

- W

OK, so you might need to check the size of your virtual memory or paging file.

System control panel
-> Advanced Tab
-> Performance -> Settings button
-> Advanced Tab
-> While here select the radio button for programs to have priority in Processor scheduling
-> Also select the radio button for programs under Memory usage.
-> Virtual Memory -> Change Button
-> Select Custom Size radio Button
-> Set Initial Size to 12288mb
-> Set Maximum Size to 12288mb
->OK button
-> restart as needed.

When you next fire Cubase up, open the task manager
-> Process pane
-> Find Cubase
->Set it's priority to High (right click on the priority for Cubase to get a context menu to do this).
-> Close Cubase
-> Restart Cubase
-> Check that it has retained the priority setting

Now load Kontakt

Check in the task manager to see if a process has been started for it
If so, change it's priority to High as well.

close and restart Cubase and reload Kontakt to check that the priority setting has been retained.

see this page for more on Private memory working sets

Memory Usage vs Memory (private working set)

Thanks so much for this! I'll post again if the problem remains and try to give you more of what might be causing it.

However, "-> Also select the radio button for programs under Memory usage." I didn't find any Memory Usage in the advanced settings of that panel.
And I don't have a process called Kontakt 4, all my VSTs are bound in VST Bridge, (which can have over 1GB of Private Working Set), and it always resets to "Normal" when I restart the program after I set it to "High".

Ty for help!

- W

Sounds like your VST bridge is the problem then. Which I should have realised earlier - it is bridging 32 bit versions of kontakt into 64 bit memory space, right? this will be the area that is creating the problem and littlcan be done unless you get the 64 bit version of kontakt 4 check with NI about any issues with a cross grade, i.e. costs, etc.

For those who get this problem:

The issue was that the VST Bridge was taking way too much of memory, alot of information had to go through it from 32x to 64x, so it eventually crashes when overloaded. I fixed it by making sure the big programs that have huge sample libraries in them would work at the same bitrate as my sequencer (I work with Cubase 64 bit), so in other words: If you are having problems with memory, just make sure you are using the 64 bit Kontakt with your 64 bit application, and this should work like a charm. It all works perfectly for me now.

Sorry for not replying on nearly a year :P !! Good luck.

For those who get this problem:

The issue was that the VST Bridge was taking way too much of memory, alot of information had to go through it from 32x to 64x, so it eventually crashes when overloaded. I fixed it by making sure the big programs that have huge sample libraries in them would work at the same bitrate as my sequencer (I work with Cubase 64 bit), so in other words: If you are having problems with memory, just make sure you are using the 64 bit Kontakt with your 64 bit application, and this should work like a charm. It all works perfectly for me now.

Sorry for not replying on nearly a year :P !! Good luck.

If you're using 64bit DAW, you should always use a 64bit version of the VST if it has one. However, what happens if you don't have a 64bit version? You need to use the bridge.

I hear Cubase's bit-bridge sucks. Jbridge is said to be a much better solution... and the programmer has amazing customer service. It's also extremely inexpensive. I think it's like $20 bucks if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Yeah, its really bad. Why doesn't Steinbeirg, a multi-million dollar company invest in something this important for its users? Like make a splendid built in function program to bridge between 32 and 64?

Jbridge, I think I actually tried that one a long time ago. But hey, since I managed to fix my Kontakt to 64 bit, everything works like a dream now!

probably because Steinberg expects its users to use 64 bit versions of vsts with Cubase 64 bit

probably because Steinberg expects its users to use 64 bit versions of vsts with Cubase 64 bit

Yeah, on the Presonus boards, that's the theory. They don't want to risk stability over trying to perfect a bitbridge. Unless you're using Jbridge, the only other suggested work flow is to use the 32bit version to create, bounce tracks to audio, and open up the session in 64bit land. The good thing is that you can open up the same session in both DAW versions, so it avoids having multiple sessions.

But thats stupid to assume. There are ALOT of older plugs and VST's that work in 32bit. Some of them are big, so its a problem definately.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Ahh, thats a way of doing it I guess. But what's so hard with developing a good bridge? They developed a huge *ss complex sequencer, a bridge between bitrates shouldnt be that big of an issue... Anyways, I'm glad with how things are working now with Kontakt 64 bit, so I'm good :)

I'd have to agree. If Reaper can do it (Reaper's bitbridge is DAMN good from what I tested), I don't see why others can't make a good one.

Back