Kicks: Analog vs. Digital

Pulen

Lately i've been struggling with making an industry standard kick drum for my track...im using abletons operator to layer 3 kicks and altough i came close to getting a solid kick there's always some kind of gap to it (usually the mids) when i compare it with those in professional tracks. Today I came across a project where I stumbled into a kick which i made a few weeks ago, and it sounds really solid...the thing is, that kick is made from 2 samples i recorded with my mic in my bedroom, and the third one (bottom) is from the sample sound bank i bought...
I dont understand why those recorded sounds work better than the ones i make in operator or any other sound i tried to use...my room acoustics is poor, there is no treatment or whatsoever...

Should I continue with recording sounds for my kick bodies? :S

Thanks,
Pulen.

Not analogue vs digital, synthesis and sampling problem it seems from the question.
Some prefer analogue for it's "roundness" even though that's mostly coloring of the sound that's happening but besides the point.

Usually sampling from a mic simply has more diverse harmonic content in it compared to synthesis if the synthesis that's going on isn't as complex as the recorded sample.

For instance Using an instance of thor with a couple modules with sines plus lowering the octave and release to almost 0 is very basic compared to sampling a cardboard box being hit for instance. Or sampling a trach can falling down from about 4 feet with a shure 91a6 feet away from it is more advanced technically since more is going on when the sound happens.

However, digging into synthesis beyond the basic gets really abnormal results as well.
Although I'm curious about physical modeling synthesis and whether there's synths that could be used to replicate such a feat, would be quite interesting.

Back