Kick and 808 Drum programming

wavygrvy

Hey FP, I'm a new producer (been producing for about 1 and half years), my problem is that when I program my Kicks and 808s it often gets messy for me. I mainly make hip hop and trap. I try to give the kick and 808 a bounce feel, I dont put the kick every time the 808 hits i add a kick here and there to give it some bounce, but most of the time i do this it does not sound right. Can someone give me suggestions or tips on how to make the kick and 808 gel together like a boxer throwing the 1-2 punches. I spent a lot of time finding the right kicks and 808s that went together but most of the time i dont nail it.

I started taking 808s with kicks in the beginning, and just making 2 copies, one for 808 and one for the kick, and i try to give the kick/808 more bounce by adding a kick or 808 at different parts that give it a bounce feel. what am i missing here? i know there are a lot of mixing techniques like side chaining to make it gel together but i guess my question is more for the drum programming area. I watched Metro Boomin's video on how to do this but it seems like he made it easier than it really is lol can someone help me out?

I don't know if this helps, but, BoB, or 8o8, has the potency to come in a certain key.
The slower you replay it, the lower the tone.

As a drummer I know for a fact, drums doesn't only have presence, they have pitch just as much as any other instrument.
Maybe you can play around and make the kick and the BoB play an arpeggio style (I love arp on my synth) chord, a minor if you like.
I guess that sounds richer and if you push it into chord progression...
Man you will have a funky bass-line that drive people wild.
and play around with ADSR on both, modulated.
Am I giving you hint to a great tracks...?
I guess so!

I'm not sure what a bounce would feel like but...If the key of your track is in A#, then you have to tune your 808 to A#. Start the 808 low and then go up 1 octave. Basically anywhere in that scale could work. You need a kick with short decay. You must play the 808 at the same time your kick hit otherwise it wouldn't feel right.

what do you mean by play an arpeggio style for the kick and 808?

I don't know if this helps, but, BoB, or 8o8, has the potency to come in a certain key.
The slower you replay it, the lower the tone.

As a drummer I know for a fact, drums doesn't only have presence, they have pitch just as much as any other instrument.
Maybe you can play around and make the kick and the BoB play an arpeggio style (I love arp on my synth) chord, a minor if you like.
I guess that sounds richer and if you push it into chord progression...
Man you will have a funky bass-line that drive people wild.
and play around with ADSR on both, modulated.
Am I giving you hint to a great tracks...?
I guess so!

Jesus, the OP asked a question about rhythm and gets two responses about sound design #FPlogic

Anyways, your problem seems like a more of a rhythmic issue (you mentioned "bounce" in the original post)
Can you post some examples of tracks that have the type of feel you want?

I am familiar with tuning the 808 to the key of the song but i am having trouble programming the kicks and 808s. What I mean by the bounce is that, sometimes you hear in modern trap music like metro boomin productions, he doesnt always have the 808 hit the same time as the kick or vice versa, basically my question is how do i give it that bounce and know when and where to put the extra kicks or 808s in my pattern. I have been practicing this for months now and see little improvement i am going to continue to try to figure out how to do it properly.

this is the video where it explains what i am talking about- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bU5oA4Kkss

I'm not sure what a bounce would feel like but...If the key of your track is in A#, then you have to tune your 808 to A#. Start the 808 low and then go up 1 octave. Basically anywhere in that scale could work. You need a kick with short decay. You must play the 808 at the same time your kick hit otherwise it wouldn't feel right.

lol yes it is definitely a rhythmic issue. sure the video i learned this technique from is this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bU5oA4Kkss

some songs i notice him doing this in are young thug- hercules and future- hater shit. there are many more songs not just by metro, ive noticed that people use the 1-2 punch method for kicks and 808s, they dont always hit at the same time sometimes there are extra notes for rhythmic bounce

Jesus, the OP asked a question about rhythm and gets two responses about sound design #FPlogic

Anyways, your problem seems like a more of a rhythmic issue (you mentioned "bounce" in the original post)
Can you post some examples of tracks that have the type of feel you want?

I am familiar with tuning the 808 to the key of the song but i am having trouble programming the kicks and 808s. What I mean by the bounce is that, sometimes you hear in modern trap music like metro boomin productions, he doesnt always have the 808 hit the same time as the kick or vice versa, basically my question is how do i give it that bounce and know when and where to put the extra kicks or 808s in my pattern. I have been practicing this for months now and see little improvement i am going to continue to try to figure out how to do it properly.

this is the video where it explains what i am talking about-

Yeah! Start the 808 low and then change it up to a higher octave on that last half note. Put a kick right after it so that when the 808 is finished it drops back down quickly enough to give that energy. On the video it appears he played the 808 1 octave lower as well. So try both! Another cool trick I like to do is I like to pitch bend that 808. ;)

yeah the pitch bend/slide technique has been popular these passed couple years like how wundagirl does it. you hear it in drake songs a lot too sounds cool.

Yeah! Start the 808 low and then change it up to a higher octave on that last half note. Put a kick right after it so that when the 808 is finished it drops back down quickly enough to give that energy. On the video it appears he played the 808 1 octave lower as well. So try both! Another cool trick I like to do is I like to pitch bend that 808. ;)

Back