Just started with ableton...

JamieBC

Hey, I just download the Ableton demo and I'm confused with what an Audio Track, and Midi Track are for or what they do. Also I was watching a couple videos of people performing live on Ableton with an APC. They have a screen full of clips, would those clips be in an Audio or Midi Track for launching?

Hopefully someone can understand what I'm saying and help.

Thanks

I'd suggest heading over to the Tweakheadz Guide and reading at least the audio & MIDI basics. Basically audio is, well, recorded sound and MIDI is control data (pitch, velocity, parameters) that tell a plugin instrument or a MIDI-capable synth what to play. The clips you launch can be both.

Hey, I just download the Ableton demo and I'm confused with what an Audio Track, and Midi Track are for or what they do. Also I was watching a couple videos of people performing live on Ableton with an APC. They have a screen full of clips, would those clips be in an Audio or Midi Track for launching?

Hopefully someone can understand what I'm saying and help.

Thanks

Audio Track - drag and drop drum loops, samples, rex files, etc / also record output from midi tracks if necessary / record vocals etc...

Midi track - load vsti's and midi instruments and play them with your midi controller

both will be recorded as clips - drag or record the clips into arrangement view and sequence them

That's most of it... but there are more things than you can think of to do with LIVE... pretty powerful DAW and easy to work with once you understand it.

... a lot less cumbersome than working in any other DAW I'VE ever attempted to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back