just started djing

Probulbasaurus

Good afternoon; ive been producing for a year now but have just got my hands on some cdj350s and a djm350 mixer to play with.

with music setup using usb, how do you guys set it up on your usb? I have loaded it all to rekord box for the correct bpm to be synced but do you put it into seperate genres and tempos from there (is there an option for this?) Or all in a single folder etc?

I use Numark CDJ's, which can read Mp3s from a USB thumb-drive. I don't (or at least, I haven't yet) organized my songs by tempo or mood or anything like that, they are just in alphabetical/numerical order, and I have a corresponding paper list that is easier to read in the dark (very large font). From there, I just pick the songs that work together best at that time, and have a few pre-determined segues, but I'm not too concerned with beat-matching, because I'm mostly doing weddings. You could organize your tunes into folders by tempo, which might be the easiest way to go if that's what you need. If your CDJ's read files like mine do, the folders might not matter though... In which case, you could consider putting a prefix or suffix/ending on every tune with a number or letter that cues you in on the general ballpark tempo-- say, 115-125 BPM gets a "1," 126-135 a "2," etc., etc.

GJ

Last edited:
Hey mate, so last night I did some digging around, ended up downloading rekordbox and using that. It is a godsend! When you import your library it analyses the key and bpm, from there I just export it all to a thumb drive and it can be sorted through the cdjs. Found it really helpful! Now just gotts start learning my music more and ill think ill be good.

With beat matching still trying to lesrn how to delineate between track a and trsck b's kicks etc.

Sounds cool, thanks for the tip. I have heard of it, but I haven't tried it so this gives me a reason. I'm a hardware guy, so I still like using my CD's with CDJ's, but the USB is convenient. And, I recently downloaded Traktor for the iPhone, and I am _loving_ that app, I can see what all of the fuss is about as far as the guys using the full version of Traktor with controllers or time-coded vinyl; the program is awesome, easy to use, and so far has worked flawlessly (when a few of the other DJ apps I've tried have failed in that area). I do like the iRig app, but they want you to pay for all of the features that are already included with Traktor. The app wasn't free, but I think it was pretty inexpensive-- under $5? Anyway, a good purchase if you're into trying something like that. I use the CDJ's primarily, but I always have an input open for my phone and/or a couple of iPods/Mp3 players I bring with me, just for back-up and to be able to use the cool apps as described, such as Traktor...

Re: Beat-matching, have you tried pulling the low end with EQ on one of the tracks while you match them (basically-- remove the kick and bass from one track)??

GJ

Last edited:
Never thought of doing that..I usually try and match the kicks, but sometimes it works other times it starts to sohnd muddled in my ears lol. Read an article about using the pitch knob to adjust the timing instead of the jog wheels, may try that today

Back