Just out of curiosity

jpeel1290

So trying not to come across as "that guy", but I have a question that I haven't really seen answered (maybe indirectly and I didnt catch it so here i am)....

I see talk about what DAW to use, song structure, "do i start with drums or melody?", etc, etc. But what I'm trying to figure out is where are some of the starting points for producers past this stage?

I've always been musically inclined. I understand music theory, I can play guitar, I'm mediocre at drums and piano, but I play. I've been messing around with ableton off and on for about a year, so I understand my way around the program, but I everytime I open it up I feel like i'm missing little pieces of knowledge that **** up my whole creative flow, like i hear it in my head but can't get it to come out of my speakers.... So after you pick a DAW, understand how to navigate through it, then what? sound design?

Something I like to do is load in a sample or a song that I enjoy the vibe of and start riffing off that. Add elements and play with stretching or pitching things down. Eventually just remove the sample entirely and you can end up with some pretty awesome results!

Sound design is a good next step, along with drum programming. Learn the basics of synthesis and what they do, so when you want to create a sound you will know how to achieve it.

Best of luck :)

Becoming more comfortable with your DAW is going to help. If the DAW can't make it, record it. If you enjoy playing outside of the DAW in general, record it. You can always make the recordings sound nice with good mixing techniques. I know in FL I can make just about anything I want (I've been using it for 6 years now, with somewhere around 5 or 6 thousand hours spent).

A point beyond the standard making of the skeleton of the track is how to mix it all together. For example layering the exact same melody twice (same notes, same pitch), but having one layer panned to the right while having another layer panned to left. This will open up the middle area of the mix. It'll also reinforce the melody with twice as much behind it, but split up nicely between both sides. You can also "move" the melody and drums around with panning....

...just stuff like this idk lol

Last edited:
Until recently I always started with a sample and it's been something that's worked for me for a few years...
Since Christmas I've started every beat on the Novation Circuit, following it up with a lot more synth stuff than I ever have before.

Apart from the Korg Volca Keys (which doesn't really count and is now sold on) Circuit is my first foray into hardware synth based groovebox territory (I rightly or wrongly view Maschine as a more sample based tool; which obviously needs a computer) and I'm hooked... Looking at picking up a couple of late 90's/early 2000's grooveboxes right now as its a very different process to sitting in front of a laptop.

Everyone is different and you'll find your way of working . I like to start with a kick then add my percussion. I'll then add my "main" baseline and get it to sit with what i've already created and later add my melody etc.... You'll find your own way of working i'm a big believer that with music there's no rules just good and bad music .

1. Drum groove and a bassline
2. Melody
3. Chords
4. "B" section
5. Coda
6. Tweak each part to satisfaction

Though, 1-5 can happen in any order depending on whichever is fhe first point of inspiration for me.

Back