Just Got NI Maschine.... DOPE!

SvenD

So this thing is amazing. I developed some pretty quick and efficient work flow with my Axiom 61 USB MIDI Keyboard but it just does not compare. After an hour I was already getting the hang of things and my workflow was speeding up. You can literally do just about everything with the hardware controller. The sound library is very impressive also, I am not sure the volume of sounds on an MPC but for reference this thing comes with 919 kick drums alone... It is a staggering amount of sounds to come stock with this sort of product. In addition to volume the quality is great, the only potential downfall I see so far is that you can only apply 2 FX per channel, but that is still a modest amount of potential all in one box.

Yes, it actually has built-in presets for Ableton. The standalone version is really just to get ideas down, you would want to record in a DAW such as Ableton. I use Cubase and it works great. Also, you can switch it between being a dedicated Maschine software controller and a standard midi controller, like an MPD 32 or something like that. Its a nice feature that you can switch on the fly, in case you want to use the pads for something else like maybe a drum VST in Ableton.

Last edited:
I've had mine since January. But I work strictly standalone and just export my beats for mixing. It really is pretty great, hope you continue to like it.

So this thing is amazing. I developed some pretty quick and efficient work flow with my Axiom 61 USB MIDI Keyboard but it just does not compare. After an hour I was already getting the hang of things and my workflow was speeding up. You can literally do just about everything with the hardware controller. The sound library is very impressive also, I am not sure the volume of sounds on an MPC but for reference this thing comes with 919 kick drums alone... It is a staggering amount of sounds to come stock with this sort of product. In addition to volume the quality is great, the only potential downfall I see so far is that you can only apply 2 FX per channel, but that is still a modest amount of potential all in one box.

I never really understood this product...Is it a controller AND sequencer...? What is it exactly...if you had to call it something?

Honestly it is an MPC that runs on software on your computer rather than internal hardware. They added an update that allows you to put it into MIDI mode so that it acts more like an MPD type of midi controller. However when running with the software it is mostly like an MPC. Imagine taking the guts of an MPC and putting it in your PC, but you are still able to control everything from the hardware controller, that is pretty much what Maschine is. You cannot do the MIDI mode and the native mode at the same time, but you can switch between them on the fly.

Last edited:
basically think of it as a new beat maachine like an mpc but imagine that all the computing guts of your mpc are now inside your computer but all the hardware is still at your finger tips, screens pads knobs acting as if all the power was still right there in a stand alone box. (this gives you a huge advantage of staying inside your DAW while working on tracks and more importantly .... the os in it is always heavily updated adding new features. I've had mine for a good long while (since version 1.0.3 now we are beta testing version 1.5 )

make sure you update right away to the latest os as it adds,
mpc 60, and sp1200 sound emulation (and this is for real I have tested it against the real thing my self and it is serious!)
adds much improved slicing features,
an additional 1.25 gigs of sounds,
new grain stretch glitch effects,
and much more.

My mpc is collecting dust lol! never thought I'd say that till i got maschine.

how smooth r the filters llike lpf on a kick, cos thats key to getting my drums to sound right.

i also gotta rate the speed of chopping like right now i got to extract a portion of a sample put it on another pad then go do the same again and again for each slice that slows me down maschine is so quick in that regard

Agreed, the sampling is really right on par with what you would envision a sampler to be in your head. The Swing knob is amazing too, no more guessing, just on the fly swing adjustment!

Does anybody know what the difference between the education version and the regular version is? Can it still get the updates and ish?

Does anybody know what the difference between the education version and the regular version is? Can it still get the updates and ish?

only difference is the price for those who qualify. You'll still be able to update and everything I believe. You may want to double check with NI first but I'm sure you can.

Ya I got the educational version, exactly the same you just get a discount for being a student or teacher.

difference between an academic version and full retail version is that you cannot transfer ownership once you have your product registered. Meaning if you plan to sell your 'academic version' Maschine, the new owner cannot get any new updates. But if you plan to keep it then it would do fine, save yourself a couple bucks and get that.

Just wanted to sway thanks for the info on the Maschine. I was about to drop big bucks on an MPC5000 when I came on here and started reading about Maschine. Picked it up for 500 at guitar center, using the money I saved for monitors and a copy of ableton.

NIce Fstop. I kinda want ableton just because of the way it integrates with maschine. Good luck

SvenD,

how does layering of drum sounds work on Maschine? Is the workflow fast when it comes to layering or do you rather need workarounds like using the layers in the mapping section, which I find a bit of a hassle? With layering I'm talking about putting 2-3 snare sounds on one pad, I couldn't find any video showcasing this, not on the NI site nor anywhere else.

I am fairly sure you cannot assign more than one sound to a pad, when I layer specific sounds I just do them in their own separate bank.

I am fairly sure you cannot assign more than one sound to a pad, when I layer specific sounds I just do them in their own separate bank.
This is the only thing that kept me from copping it, I find this as a major drawback, layering function is important. :(

Back