Just Blaze comments on Quincy Jones' comments about Kanye

Dre has dudes with guitars and ish in the studio with him... (according to the photo's I saw).

So does Kanye. & alot of other big name producers. Jussayin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the problem in a nut shell:most people, say 25 and under, grew up in the digital age. So they are use to only hearing music from digital formats. When they go to concerts, what they hear and see are people using laptops and turntables to create shows.

Great point! Never looked at it that way. Records are tools used to get inspiration for a beat, not for the actual enjoyment of the music itself. Live bands are boring and for old folks. They have thoughts like... what the hell is a record? You still using a CD walkman? Then you have people like Kanye who was "introduced" as a rapper to the world but makes it "well known" that he makes beats. People don't give a shit about someone producing a hit, so whoelse name other than Kanye could the average person say is a modern day Quincy Jones? Dr.Dre is a rapper to a lot of people, too. Only hip hop feens know a Premo, 9th, ect. Babyface is a singer to the average.

I'm not going to be in this thread like I've always known who Quincy Jones was. I never cared about producers and shit like that. Premier, Dr.Dre, RZA to me were DJs, they made the beats if you asked me back then (before alot of people were born). Didn't use terms "he produced). O.K..................so I've heard the name Quincy Jones all the time......then I'm listening to this song for the first time back then that has Quincy Jones name on it.....

"Who the hell is Quincy Jones" is running through my mind. What the hell did he do? This song is great beyond greatness.....but I don't hear him singing, doing poetry, speaking, or nothing......what is the ****ing deal? Must be a typo....mistake.....I know this is a Barry White song, got dammit! That started my journey into wanting to know who the hell is Quincy Jones and why is this dude so important that he can put his name on a Barry White song with some others featured. Nobody messing with Barry White....Quincy Jones must be somebody important to steal this song from him and make it his. Learned alot from then.

This song is enough to make someone laugh at the comparison.......................Kanye would only use 5 percent of this song to make a "hit" for the moment. A Timeless masterpiece of fullfillment for him to find crumbs to eat from. To even use this song......homage, interviews, a whole 60 minute special from Kanye about how much Quincy means to him is needed first. His life would be endanger (anybody elses also) if it is not used or redone correctly.

Last edited:
Imo, it was whack for the interviewer to even draw comparisons between the two. It's not like Quincy was just lashing out at Kanye. He simply said they were nothing alike, and they aren't.

I'd be insulted too if I'd spent 50-something years constructing some of the greatest pieces in music history, to be compared someone who's probably sampled dozens of my records lol

The difference between the two is innovation (Quincy) vs reconstruction (Kanye).
(probably been replied to a million times) but if you look at the actual interview, the interviewer says they are alike in the fact that everybody wants to work with them- didn't say anything about talent.
that being said, since sampling/computer music has no music theory you can argue that Kanye is more of an innovator

What the hell make any of yall think Quincy cant use an MPC DAW or any of that sh*t?!?! He been doin music for 50 years, most of yall been doin it 7 at the most. I am sure Quincy evolved with the music business! His response did seem like a little hateration if you ask me tho. The world moves on. Granted he was great, but I bet if not for Michael Jackson, 90% of you on here defending Q probably would never have heard of him! Thats really his claim to fame, and that was fueled by Michael Jackson, the greatest ever. Kayne is on to a great start and is the most in demand producer of his time...Just like Q was...

(probably been replied to a million times) but if you look at the actual interview, the interviewer says they are alike in the fact that everybody wants to work with them- didn't say anything about talent.
that being said, since sampling/computer music has no music theory you can argue that Kanye is more of an innovator

Since when does sampling have no music theory? I think you might want to retract that statement.

Kayne is on to a great start and is the most in demand producer of his time...Just like Q was...

Future producers are the most demanding producers of his time. Kanye ****ed himself up from greatness just to be known as an *******. No matter how good his music is.....when he is 77, he will be remembered as the "rapper" who snatched the mic during someones speech. Quincy could pass on us anytime now (hope he reaches 100 and beyond). Black music history for those who want to know instead of defending they favorite "rapper". Kanye is a "rapper who makes beats" from know on to me.

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

[video=youtube;npPad6-yi4s&feature=related]video[/video]

3:36 is me all the way. Give me an impossible challenge, I'll prove it's not impossible. Hope I look that good......and still doing my thing. Quincy Jones......age 103 with an album being released.

Last edited:
Kanye ****ed himself up from greatness just to be known as an *******. No matter how good his music is.....when he is 77, he will be remembered as the "rapper" who snatched the mic during someones speech.
I strongly disagree... I mean of course people will remember it, but that's not how people remember great artists. Michael Jordan won't be remembered for being a gambler, Kobe won't be remembered for being accused of rape, and Ray Charles won't be remembered for being a heroin addict. Obviously these are negative things that happened in the artist's life and perhaps their stories can't be told without mentioning these things, but it won't define Kanye by any means.
Lebron leaving Cleveland on the other hand may be a different story... haha

Why couldn't Lebron leave Cleveland any way he wanted...

Lebron - "Winter in Cleveland.... Winter in Miami... hmmm?"

^Cleveland niggaz tight b/c he wanted to leave that dreary sh*t & come down here in this sun, lol. They still got some kinks to work out but in the next couple years league is in trouble.

Truthfully... Kanye in all of his glory, Could never be compared to Quincy. Thats like comparing analog to digital. They both have their pros/cons, but If you were to ask me "Who would you like to meet?" Hands down.. Quincy all day. I WANT TO LEARN FROM THE DUDE THAT'S SOLD OVER 200 MILLION ALBUMS!

^Cleveland niggaz tight b/c he wanted to leave that dreary sh*t & come down here in this sun, lol. They still got some kinks to work out but in the next couple years league is in trouble.

Next couple of years Labron is going to leave Miami. lol He already thinking about it now.

Thy both are from different eras!! Their music is from different genres pretty much as well. I mean Kanye may cross into pop. But Quincy has never crossed over to hip hop. So this is like comparing Jim Brown to Adrian Peterson. They played in two different eras with different rules and teams did not pass as much in Browns era!! Kanye sampled but in his era and genre that's how music was made. In Quincy's era and genre music was played.

Back