Just Blaze comments on Quincy Jones' comments about Kanye

Oh, I gotta answer that one for ya dog...
Kanye might not be the most technical producer or a master of the keys but his production does something to your emotions when you hear it. Kanye brings alot to the game when it comes to getting people to care about what your doing.

I have one Kanye West song - All Falls Down... the rest did nothing for me. He is successful so evidently everybody besides me - hears something I don't.

... but what I really think it is, its everything besides his music. It's the people he's affiliated with plus he has the Paris Hilton / Lindsay Lohan effect... they're always doing something to get themselves in the news.

He reminds of that guy that always gets 2nd in the HS School talent show... and gets pissed that he didn't win... he's sort of good but not as good as he and other people think. Best analogy I could think of.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as technique is concerned Timbaland and Dre aren't above and beyond Kanye. They have deeper catalogues, but that's about it.

I have one Kanye West song - All Falls Down... the rest did nothing for me. He is successful so evidently everybody besides me - hears something I don't.

... but what I really think it is, its everything besides his music. It's the people he's affiliated with plus he has the Paris Hilton / Lindsay Lohan effect... they're always doing something to get themselves in the news.

He reminds of that guy that always gets 2nd in the HS School talent show... and gets pissed that he didn't win... he's sort of good but not as good as he and other people think. Best analogy I could think of.
lol... didnt say I'd hang with the guy but i can see why he's so popular... But as a producer he's one of my top 10... Cant lie and say he doesnt impress me...especially when i got back and hear the original songs he flipped and cant quite figure out how he did a few things...
Samples mixed with live instrumentation and shyt like that was really brought the forefront thru this guy. But I feel ya though. If he doesnt move you cause he acts like someone people would perceive as a softserve kinda dude i don't blame you. Him being a goofball vs being a talented goofball is how i look at it i guess... I'd still slap his face off if he had a temper tantrum on me...

"Why is the velocity on that kick so high....aaaaauuughghgh!!!!......aaaauuuughghgh **** this....Bush hates black people!!!!!!!!!!"

I might be wack and don't know it...

cause I'm definitely missing something when it comes to Kanye and his music, lol.

I might be wack and don't know it...

cause I'm definitely missing something when it comes to Kanye and his music, lol.

Naw that's the beauty of music & opinions. There's a lot of stuff that people go crazy over, that i'm like meh. Kanye's music is definitely not one of them though, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol...naw Rome, I just listen to tracks first...Kanye doesnt move me lyrically at all but beat wise dude is nice... just my thoughts, eventhough I still havent check on his new stuff...I dont listen to the radio or nothing so I guess I should go check it out before i comment anymore...

^^^ I've never heard those songs...

I still have Chaka Khan, Lenny Willams, Michael Jackson on my ipod...

^^^ I've never heard those songs...

I still have Chaka Khan, Lenny Willams, Michael Jackson on my ipod...

The principle hasn't changed though. They do the same shit.. they just sample different genres. Jack someone's shit and add drums & extra instrumentation. As long as it sounds good it doesn't make a difference to me. Dre is just as bad.. if not worse, LOL.

Dre is just as bad.. if not worse, LOL.

Dre has dudes with guitars and ish in the studio with him... (according to the photo's I saw).

You're right though. Somebody should just start chopping up latino music and get rich fast. Timbo did it with the Indian joints.

^^^^^

Trying to think of some Kanye R&B songs. I mean, non hip hop style.....no rappers.

[video=youtube;VKbWF1jwMhE&feature=related]video[/video]

Tim might have the upperhand here.

Last edited:
I always thought Dre and Timbaland were super original because they hardly list samples in their album booklets, LOL.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Kanye has a couple of cool R&B joints.

Sampling at it's best. I like Kanye, though. But.....His lust for the spot light is making others before him get overlooked by people who don't know any better (example the interviewer using his name not for his greatness but to get Quincy's response and see if he gets what he expects). He could've named plenty of others who were doing they thing 20 years before Kanye and still are.....but.....Kanye is the first name a majority can think of....not because of greatness.

[video=youtube;hnODDqYUoUs&feature=related]video[/video]

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

I always thought Dre and Timbaland were super original because they hardly list samples in their album booklets, LOL.

Kanye has a couple of cool R&B joints.

That's that shit. Forgot about that.

Here is the problem in a nut shell:most people, say 25 and under, grew up in the digital age. So they are use to only hearing music from digital formats. When they go to concerts, what they hear and see are people using laptops and turntables to create shows. They have never(or rarely have ever) heard live bands take a stage to perform,therefore, they can't appreciate how beautiful the sound is coming from a live band as opposed to digital music from laptops and turntables. It is young people who insist that Ye is comparable to Q. So young people really have no real image in their minds of what was. They only have an image of what is. Now. So it is somewhat understandable that they would think that Ye is every bit as talented as is Q. But, tis just not so.

No I dont agree with with JB. And I'm pretty sure Quincy Jones knows how to use a drum machine and a DAW, smh.

To even suggest that knowing how to use those pieces of equipment require anywhere near the skill of conducting an orchestra is laughable.

JB should've kept quiet because he's in the same boat as Kanye as far as what Quincy said, except Blaze isn't even a rapper. They are both "beatmakers", and shouldn't even be in the discussion with Quincy in terms of producers. Guys like Dre, Quik, Timbaland, and Battlecat are some of the few real producers in hip hop. If any hip hop producers should be compared to Quincy, talent-wise, it should be those guys, but only Dre and Timbaland are really anywhere near Quincy's level, imo, as far as overall talent, skill, breaking artists, and record sales.

Dam you took the words right out of my mouth. Quincy & Kanye are not even in the same waters, and I'm a fan of both.

The interviewer was way off for drawing comparisons this early. Kanye is dope to me, but c'mon now, Q produced has produced for DECADES.

Thriller
Off the Wall
We are the World

/THREAD NOW!

Back