Isolating Your Operation

MegaloDeez

Ok, I'm ready for all of your body shots, but I wanna say this anyway. I'm from a MPC background and 2 years ago I sold my MP and got into Reason.
That's my production hub and I'm sticking to it. I love it...workflow, rack and routing sys etc...

But to my point. I just got into Reaper and Ableton....choosing a VST/Rewire host. I've got some freebies, a few instruments, effects, (love the PushTec Lasagne EQ) and I just finally payed attention to KOMPLETE from NI. I'm gettn version 7 today.

Along with getting acquainted with Reaper/Ableton and mastering Reason. Adding KOMPLETE, I'm really considering sealing my operation until further notice. No new software or hardware for atleast 12 to 18 months. I don't record vocals, I have an MPK49, turntable, interfaces, headphones,monitors.

When do u say enough is enough, I'm done for now? I think the only thing ill continue to do outside of producing music, practice instrumentation and mastering my software is crate digging. Your thoughts?

Ok, I'm ready for all of your body shots, but I wanna say this anyway. I'm from a MPC background and 2 years ago I sold my MP and got into Reason.
That's my production hub and I'm sticking to it. I love it...workflow, rack and routing sys etc...

But to my point. I just got into Reaper and Ableton....choosing a VST/Rewire host. I've got some freebies, a few instruments, effects, (love the PushTec Lasagne EQ) and I just finally payed attention to KOMPLETE from NI. I'm gettn version 7 today.

Along with getting acquainted with Reaper/Ableton and mastering Reason. Adding KOMPLETE, I'm really considering sealing my operation until further notice. No new software or hardware for atleast 12 to 18 months. I don't record vocals, I have an MPK49, turntable, interfaces, headphones,monitors.

When do u say enough is enough, I'm done for now? I think the only thing ill continue to do outside of producing music, practice instrumentation and mastering my software is crate digging. Your thoughts?

In terms of instruments, we're dealing with virtual instruments attempt to emulate real instruments. So I could always have a better virtual instrument because the technology is still evolving and has quite a ways to go. In terms of sequencers, I tried them all and unfortunately flip flopped between them for 10 years rather than focus in on just one. But at some point I realized the one that I kept coming home to one of them and decided that there was no reason to look anywhere else so that was "enough" for me. So it's much easier for me to say enough is enough when it comes to sequencers. Much harder where virtual instruments are concerned.

Sounds like you have " enough" for now man. You currently have like 3 sequencers, several ways to sample between reaper, ableton and reason included samplers...all your drums & real instruments are covered ( reason & komplete), enough synths to create pads, effects and leads for along time!!! Man you have a monster setup on your hand for production..at this point you gotta focus on making good music...you have all the tools you need.

I recently went through this phase. I had 3 sequencers (Pro tools, ableton, cubase) and a ton of vst synths...probably over 20. It was getting out of hand to where i wasnt even being productive anymore....I would spend most of my time browsing through the millions of presets and sounds...always second guessing and trying to find an even better synth pad or string sound to replace the current one i had recorded. Contiously diving back in the oblivion of vsts sound options. I should have been focusing on the importmant stuff like creating great melodies, chords, nice rhythms, arrangements...sick choruses...creative song concepts..etc

Needless to say i currently restrict myself to 2 sequencers (Cubase 6 for composing & pro tools 8 for mixing) and those 20 vsts has been cut down to 8!! Do I have a million sounds at my disposal???...nope!! These limits have made me more productive, more creative and making more music.

Last edited:
Back