Is turntablism dead?

Chaotic

Its not and never will be to me, but I came up in turntablisms hayday. But i was in guitar center recently and noticed the lack of real 12" turntables, battle style mixers, etc. Its seems that kids these days are all about midi controllers and fx.

Id like to hear from some of you guys, under the age of 25. How important is turntablism to you? How much exposure have you had to it?

dude ive DJd one time in my entire life, im a producer mostly. but man, ide love to have a set of technics 1200s over any cd decks or anything else! turntablism isnt dead, come to greensboro nc dude! we got all types of styles, perspectives and creative styles to suit anyone. but hell nah turntablism isnt dead. haha! shit i even use an old vintage technics to get my samples from my vinyl collection. guitar center is all about the latest trends and yada yada, there about money bro, if you request what you really want and that be a set of technics 1200s, im sure theyll get em for you or anything else really.

i know guitar center can get any gear you want. but i think the fact that they dont stock turntablism related items, is just another sign that the popularity of the art is fading away. DMC battles have gotten smaller and smaller each year. Technics doesnt even make turntables anymore!!

With all the new advances in DJ technology, like serato, traktor, dicers, and other controllers, i thought it would really take turntablism to another level. But it seems like its doing the opposite.

Found an interesting interview with Cut Chemist and heres his take on Turntablism being dead.

"I think it’s because the main people that were promoting it were the Scratch Piklz, on the West Coast at least. And when they disbanded it kind of died. I saw the X-Ecutioners still touring and still wrecking it. But the Piklz just seemed to be the ones who were the main group kind of holding it down. So when they had ScratchCon Party it was kind of like the “farewell to turntablism” party. That’s when me and Shadow and Stein all did our thing. It was really sad. It was celebrating but it was also like, “this is it.” And the next day it was like turntablism was over. It’s like we couldn’t pack these big clubs like we used to. And everything started turning to mash-ups. People were saying, “oh forgot turntablism, let’s do mash-ups.”

Last edited:
Im oldschool... like really old school... but Im all for the new technology... but only when its used to push the envelope, not dumb things down....

Im just noticing that the new DJ technology seems to be phasing out the turntable. sorry but scratching on a 4" jog wheel is a joke.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

with tempo sync buttons, cats dont even need to beatmatch anymore.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

mash ups! ha... dont get me started... i remember when mashups didnt have a name... it was just called being a creative DJ

Back