Is this old keyboard useful?

DonTrump

Hi guys... so I'm thinking about try to start again into beatmaking/producing. Since I gave up in the first time because it was sort of difficult to me to create without a MIDI controller, I decided to pick one this time. But before spending money on one I remembered of an old Casio MT-750 I have here (it's older than me, I'm 20 :hmmm:) and I found that it has a MIDI option.

The thing is... with a MIDI/USB cable, is this old keyboard useful for me or just garbage? I found no drivers for it at all in the internet.

Some pics that might help:
DSC_0397.jpgDSC_0398.jpgDSC_0402.jpg

I used to have a hardware rompler thing too my dad got way way back, it will work with generic if that's the question.daws have the generic option that works for everything..

If it has MIDI in and out, you should be good. However, I'm not sure about that driver situation. Plug it in, and see if your DAW recognizes it.

you're good to go - you will need to use both the audio lines and the midi lines to get the most out of it

midi for control and audio so that you can record the sounds in your daw of your choice

It may be the thing that-

Your midi drivers for that keyboard are made for a computer no longer supported
in other words it might not work if it needs a 20 year old operating system
I am not sure, but youre new OP probably needs to recognize the keyboards drivers and the old drivers will not be recognized.
That keyboard looks expensive and nice. But I don't want to put my grubby hands prints on it for you.

HA_HA_HA HAW

It may be the thing that-

Your midi drivers for that keyboard are made for a computer no longer supported
in other words it might not work if it needs a 20 year old operating system
I am not sure, but youre new OP probably needs to recognize the keyboards drivers and the old drivers will not be recognized.
That keyboard looks expensive and nice. But I don't want to put my grubby hands prints on it for you.

HA_HA_HA HAW

Wrong. MIDI is MIDI - it doesn't need specialized drivers to work (the MIDI interface might need drivers, but that's not a problem). Everything from the inception of MIDI around '83 still works just fine with modern equipment.

That said, the MIDI implementation for an older "home" keyboard like that might be very simplistic, but hard to say anything conclusive about that without seeing the manual. If you just need to play some notes from the keyboard, it's probably just fine. And on a further note, I think this is one of the more interesting cheapo Casios in the sense that it offers at least some degree of editability over its sounds.

Krushing beat me to it but yes, you only need midi drivers for the interface (whether that is a MIDI-USB cable or a piece of hardware) not the keyboard

Yeah Krushing is right, you can connect a MIDI instrument from 1986 to a modern computer with a MIDI cable and it will work just like it did when it first came out, no drivers required.....that's the beauty of MIDI over USB devices which become paperweights without constant driver support.

Back