Is this bedroom setup up to scratch?

FuldaMusic

I've started making house and electro music in my bedroom 'studio', unfortunately I'm a bit limited space wise so I've had to work with what I've got.

IMG_20130531_105821SMALL.jpg

I realise you shouldn't put monitors in the corner of the room but I've got no choice really, seeing as I have a corner desk! Has anyone got any views on how to improve this setup on a tight budget? More importantly, will this affect my production in too serious a way?

Thanks!

Looks great. hah, but It dont know if using the yellowpages under the monitor is too safe, those m-audios get real hot after a few minutes...its possible its not that big of a deal, its just seems like commonsense when i saw that correct me if im wrong.. everything else looks just fine man! go get em with that music!

haha thanks man, yeah you might be right about propping up monitors on books, it was just a temporary measure but maybe I'll get rid if its a fire hazard!

studio in a box huh? My boy got that ish. Truth be told it is all you will ever need. I just wanted pad controllers so I bought a controller for that and I am getting my monitors and interface next up.

What does the rest of the room look like, can we see a bit of a wider shot of the room? You are going to get a lot of a messy confused signal coming at your ears due to the proximity of the walls to the back of the monitors. Do your monitors have bass roll off?

If it were me, Id start with moving the keyboard off the desk and see if you can mount it on a stand (an ironing board maybe?) then move the speakers forward so that the wooden support that is boxing in the left monitor is less of an issue....

Wow, an ironing board - what a perfect solution to test multiple monitor positions and heights! And everyone's got one too! I've never thought of that before, but I like it.
A corner is not ideal, and neither are desk mounted monitors, and neither are the books under the monitors. The best solution at the moment would seem to be to move out of the corner (get a new desk?) and invest in speaker stands. If speaker stands are not an option, you might want to consider desk mounted stands like the IsoAcoustics stands.
If you're unable to move I'd recommend setting up more symmetrically (so actually facing the corner) and would start treating the area around you, like the corner in front of you and the first reflections to your left and right.
A lot of information on setting up in a room here: Room Acoustics Primer - GIK Acoustics

@ GIK. Ironing boards, needs must when you are a poor student 'fraid, but like you say, v.useful for testing positions of equipt....

@ Jerry555, it is an ok setup to put down really rough edits and arrangements but the second you try and do any kind of mixing you are going to be fighting against muddy confused freqs, freq nulls at various points throughout the spectrum, it is just not a good place to do any kind of mixing.....

Awesome start...try getting rid of unwanted stuff..so theres more space

skratch wut??? weres tha turntables?:bigeyes:
Maybe he means it in the term as 'from scratch' (beginning from nowhere).

The room looks fine, the only thing im concerned about is the plank in between your laptop and left monitor.
And instead of the books, maybe some 'Auralex' monitor foam thingies i got them free with my KRK Rokit 6's they work just fine. 2/8 to 1/3 less bass going through my floor and monitor stands

Last edited:
Back