is this a good computer?

beatbustaent

thinking about buyin this comp gateway
Intel Core i3 530 2.93GHz, 6GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVD-RW, Multi-in-1 Card Reader, ATI Radeon HD5450 512MB Graphic w/HDMI, Gigabyte LAN
i am going to run reason 6 and fl studio would this be a good comp to buy ?

right now i am running a intel core 2 duo 2.13 ghz 2 gb ram 320gb hard drive

thanks

Last edited:
how many cores does that i3 have?

It all depends on what you need to do on it. What programs will you be using? How big do your projects get? Do you use heavy VSTs and multiple effects?

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

ps... u gotta edit the color of your post lol. You can't see it without highlighting it

it has 2 cores and i will be using reason 6 and FL studio fairly big projects i do use alot of vst effects when mixing

it has 2 cores and i will be using reason 6 and FL studio fairly big projects i do use alot of vst effects when mixing

From what I remember, Reason was very CPU friendly from when I used it. That was Reason 3 though. There's a good chance you'd be safe with 2 cores.. but honestly... I'd recommend grabbing a 4 core CPU if you can afford it. It'll prevent you from wanting to upgrade in 2 years. The higher the clock speed the better. I'd rather have 4 fast horses pulling my carriage than 2 lightning fast ones.

i have a toshiba sattelite with an i3 processor, but the specs on your computer are better than mine and i can run all those programs just fine. All though i would like to upgrade to a i5 or i7... so if you can afford it go with one of those but if not the i3 can still handle the work load.

Last edited:
Like most said I'd try and get one of those quad-core i5s, you'll be set for a few years and will have more than enough power to run those programs.

it's good, but if you feel like the processor is bottlenecking your system (it most likely will with 6gb of ram) then you should look into upgrading it to an i5/7. the computer itself isn't bad neither are the specs for it, but eventually you should look into upgrading (or just a whole different computer if you don't want to waste time with that later)

it's good, but if you feel like the processor is bottlenecking your system (it most likely will with 6gb of ram) then you should look into upgrading it to an i5/7. the computer itself isn't bad neither are the specs for it, but eventually you should look into upgrading (or just a whole different computer if you don't want to waste time with that later)

What does having 6GB of RAM have to do with the processor being a bottleneck???

I just realized... you already have a dual core processor. You'd just be upgrading to a slightly faster one. I would strongly recommend just upgrading to a quad core man. You're still going to eventually wanna upgrade when this one feels slow. You'll save money in the end.

Just save up for an extra 1-2 months and great the i5 or i7. It would be different if you were going from an old single core to a i3. But the extra money going from dual core to i3 is probably not as worth it as going from dual core to i5/i7

I just realized... you already have a dual core processor. You'd just be upgrading to a slightly faster one. I would strongly recommend just upgrading to a quad core man. You're still going to eventually wanna upgrade when this one feels slow. You'll save money in the end.

Just save up for an extra 1-2 months and great the i5 or i7. It would be different if you were going from an old single core to a i3. But the extra money going from dual core to i3 is probably not as worth it as going from dual core to i5/i7

He could also find out what other C2D or C2Q processors his motherboard can use and pick one up (my vote would be to get a Core 2 Quad). They're pretty cheap nowadays and still plenty powerful.

He could also find out what other C2D or C2Q processors his motherboard can use and pick one up (my vote would be to get a Core 2 Quad). They're pretty cheap nowadays and still plenty powerful.

Very true. That's the best bet.

It's not hard to open up the laptop and replace the CPU. Just takes a little patience and handling care.

^ I thought I read laptop. I upgraded my own laptop before, so I may have assumed he was using one.

If not.. a desktop is even easier to upgrade the CPU.

Back