Is there such thing as an "instant classic?"

freedoom

Do you think a newly released album can be deemed as an instant classic? Or do you think time is needed to separate normal records from classics?

If so, what new albums do you think are 'instant classics?'

Ill probably get shit for this..but IMO Watch the Throne comes to mind.

Good music will always have instant classic feel but the question is: who will embrace it? Fans of the artist? Fans of the genre? Imo a true classic (regardless of the "instant" tag or not) can be appreciated by everybody.

I dunno sometimes there has to go like +5 years before anyone calls it a classic, as longs as its still a very good album. But sometimes its only been a year and people still talk about that album.

Take The Carter III, that album had almost classic songs only, but TC4 was garbage!

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

How about Take Care?

p.............pe....peeep..

You got me

Take Care was an instant classic....just not my pref.

Now...I could've told you "the truth"... the real truth.....but then I can't defend Wale because he would also be in the same category. So for the sake of Wale...and saving everyone from the truth....I will yeah...Take care was an instant classic.

2001.............that album is talked about like OJ Simpson. You can't go a day without one of those two things being mentioned somewhere.

2001........people partied and partied hard. Yeaaaa hay yayeyaye.... Smoke Weed everyday!!!

Take Care........dudes rubbed their nipples and experimented with mollies. That doesn't take away from it being an "instant classic."

Why do yall make me do this........you make me hate myself....I can't control it!!!!

Something has to separate the "radio rotated" stuff from what an "instant classic" really is.

It's why I say it's hard to really say what is and what ain't when it comes to the underground. Just because "I" never heard a Joey Badass song til recently....I can't tell you it's not if I was in New York and his stuff was pumpin hard out there. Same as other's can't tell me BMF wasn't a true instant classic if people haven't experience the song where it is considered a classic.

But I will say this.......as a fact. Eightball and MJG didn't have videos, radio rotation, special promotion, ect. But their first and second album spread like crazy in the south. Soon...anything with "Suave House" was a name to watch. And it's expectation of the "classics" determined if it was a good album, wack, or a classic.....NOT WHAT THE MEDIA SAID OR CRITICS VIEWS...no gimmicks....videos on buildings...or nothing. Just "people's" love and expectations.

Classics last forever.

#lotsofdeletingdonetryingnottobeahater

Great question. I think it's tough to tell if a newer song or album is going to have the staying power of a "classic" in years and decades to come.

36 Chambers will go down as one of the greatest, arguably. But did anyone know that in 1993? Especially without the internet fueling hype and trends.

See, to pick something from today is going by your own tastes. I'd say Black Album was an instant classic, coz I liked and will always like that one a lot. But I wouldn't pick Watch The Throne. Some albums are relatively big today, but not by history's standards. But when history picks it.. the future generation will hold on to what they want, and discard the rest... Then you'll know what's truly a classic.

Back