Is there any reason to make a full EP/LP if you're unkown? Best way to go about this?

mudTurtle

Bearded Princess
I actually never understood why the "getting started" section would have questions like this before but now I see why.

This and the technical forum are really the only active forums it seems so I'm just going to ask my question here.

Anyway, I'm working on about 6-7 tracks that I think have potential, and may start a few more.. and I had this cool vision of an EP that I could release for free on soundcloud and/or iTunes or something. Then I would promote it via social media and friends afterword as one full piece.

Is this pretty silly in this day an age? Should I just release singles until I'm [potentially] more known?

Is it still a good idea to make demos for record labels like they used to do?

My ultimate goal would be able to travel with music and perform it in venues, no matter what path to get there. Thoughts on all of this appreciated. Thanks

There is no correct way. The choice is always
D) All of the above.

Finish your music and make sure you are happy with it and then dole it out as singles that lead to the EP, followed by an album, with some unreleased cuts that make getting the entire album still attractive. The world is built off of singles and continuous attention, so disappearing for a year isn't as viable as continuous interest/releases. You are not famous and do not have a cult following, therefore expect that people will slowly be discovering you over time. No need for a huge injection of music at any point. As your fanbase grows, so should your discography.

You can always release it commercially ($$$) and offer some stuff for free or all of it for free for a limited time.
Sell it on iTunes, but free on bandcamp or a limited download campaign or an iTunes discount at the release...

Do it all.

There is no correct way. The choice is always
D) All of the above.

Finish your music and make sure you are happy with it and then dole it out as singles that lead to the EP, followed by an album, with some unreleased cuts that make getting the entire album still attractive. The world is built off of singles and continuous attention, so disappearing for a year isn't as viable as continuous interest/releases. You are not famous and do not have a cult following, therefore expect that people will slowly be discovering you over time. No need for a huge injection of music at any point. As your fanbase grows, so should your discography.

You can always release it commercially ($$$) and offer some stuff for free or all of it for free for a limited time.
Sell it on iTunes, but free on bandcamp or a limited download campaign or an iTunes discount at the release...

Do it all.

Good answer thank you. I think I'll release one or two good ones that will be apart of an eventual EP release.

I like EPs in general...
I like that they're just long enough to listen to in the car on my short commute to work.
I like that they show more of an artist than a single does.
I like that they naturally imply that there's more to come.

I think an EP shows some seriousness to your craft.

I like EPs in general...
I like that they're just long enough to listen to in the car on my short commute to work.
I like that they show more of an artist than a single does.
I like that they naturally imply that there's more to come.

I think an EP shows some seriousness to your craft.

Good stuff

I have 4 tracks that follow a particular theme. I think I can release a single, then a four track EP and go from there. Then network like a biyotch and if I learn it sucks start all over lol

I like the idea of following a theme for a collection of tracks... Mini concept album-esque... Something we (my old band - way back in the when) frequently failed at in our attempts.

I always liked when the single was an alternative version of the song on the album/EP as well... Shows diversity and a kinda fluidity (want for a better word) to one's writing...

I should note the single I release would not be in relation to the EP.. just something I can start passing around to maybe start building a fan base. Has to be good, obviously

Though I've probably got many many more tracks than I need, I personally like the romantic notion of having "made an album", I.e a coherent collection of tracks. It's probably having grown up with the idea that albums is how the art is done. But that was then and this is now and really, if major artists could get away with not having to make albums, just EPs and touring, they would. It's a nice idea but sadly one that's becoming less relevant in this single download and stream age. If I made an album, it would probably only be for me.

Making albums is cool - good enough reason for me. I think people in general tend to overthink this thing in regards to potential success, rather than just going all out and making unique crazy noise.

Back