Is there any equipment you would call essential?

T

TheProductionPort

I'm putting together an article on some hardware that helps further your beats, and I was wondering if there is any equipment that people consider essential. I'm talking about like MPCs, and things like that, not software like FL Studio. People typically say "It's the producer not the equipment" but, to "make it" would you say there is some degree of hardware nescesary?

Personally, I think a MIDI keyboard is extremely important, but I don't know if I'd say nescesary. I've seen some people make crazy beats with their computer mouse.

Edit: And I'm talking about Hip-Hop/R&B producing only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardware is not necessary. But it can open up a new world of creativity. If you love creating, you shouldn't limit yourself. Keep building as you go.

At some point you might some shit like this.

A computer is enough, for some styles. Shrillex just uses a lap top with Ableton. Lex Lugar uses a laptop with Fl Studio. Midi keyboard is nice to have to save on the click fest.

something with sounds (keyboards, synths, software synths, samplers)
something that plays the sounds (midi controller, mpc, computer keyboard)
something you can hear the sounds you play (headphones, studio monitors, general speakers)
something that records the sounds you play (anything that has a sequencer, daws, mpcs, workstation keyboards)
something that hooks all of above together (mixers, soundcards, usb cables, cables in general)

thats it..

Last edited:
anything hardware that sticks out in my opinion. even if you don't use it it'll impress artist coming to purchase a beat off of you. Nothing else wows people like a big ole mixer

Apart from monitors/headphones and a laptop I've never bothered much with hardware....I think it's funny seeing all these dudes selling their keyboards on keyboards now lol. If anything I might buy an interface and maybe a midi so I can start learning how to play keys but there's not much else that screams "MUST HAVE" to me.

I'd say a powerful computer is absolutely essential. You can't use the best software or get the most out of it unless your computer can handle it.

I'd also say a good mic-pre with a nice compressor on it. Nothing worse than having to trash a perfect take because of clipping.

Back