Is the Beat Scene Crowded with Copy Cats ?

I do feel Lex's "trap" sound that D.Rich and Shawty Redd did before him was a 'different" sound, as in NEVER HEARD BEFORE THEY ALL DID IT. I have to hear something genuinely never heard before.

That's just some DJ Paul shit from the early 90s... but for that type of sound to work everything needs to be loud as hell and those early 3 6 mafia albums were all mixed terribly

I was referring to the more intricate details that you found in Lex's sound(I keep calling it Lex's sound because while influenced by others, he was the 1st to bottle it with a template.

The Triangle or open hihat that hits on the kick and snare, the triplets and 64th snare and hat rolls, the little breath(hah!)sound, the girlvocal sample who sounds like she's saying "ninth", the drummer boy transition, but with a filter on it.

The reason I consider that a "new sound", is because while it took from alot of old stuff, if not done the Lex/D.Rich/Shawty Redd way, it wasn't the same 'sound". To compare to someone like Mustard, there's nothing in his beats that didn't exist before he did it other than his tag.

But as I said before, all in the eye of the beholder. The next guy may think Mustard is different because he got RnB singers on his stuff.

It's not bad man. Think of it as survival of the fittest. Copy cats show they are not the fittest. Every one can't be different without everyone being the same its as simple as water.

Back