Is my monitors position bad ?

dangersgs

Please check out this picture of my room and tell me if I'll have problems:

http://oi50.tinypic.com/28rgwtg.jpg

This is an old photo.Now I have monitors instead of those speakers.Those light brown things in the left and right side are armchairs and the monitors are positioned just like those speakers except they are both "aimed" towards me.I hope you can form an idea of my setup based on that photo.I'm sorry for the bad photo but this is the only one I had and don't own a camera either.Are those armchairs gonna be a problem?Will they affect the sound A LOT more than if if it was just empty space there ?
Thank you !

Last edited:
hard to tell with the pic.

The rule is equilateral triangle between you and the speakers with them facing you, and as best you can, put your ear level somewhere between the tweeter and the woofer.

The tweeters should be at the same exact level than your ears to ensure a perfect 20 KHz transmission.

Thanks for the answers but that's not what I asked ! I was talking about those ARMCHAIRS . If they affect the sound.If it's something similar like mixing in the corner of the room..

Well The arm chairs might act as an absorbent for mid to low range frequencies. Also judging by that wall behind the monitors that's a parallel wall which means you would probably get some reflections that bounce around the room. I understand you don't have a camera so i'm just building the rest of the room in my head.. Honestly its quite hard to tell because every room is different. When you clap your hands in the room do you get a lot of reverb? is it a loud room? or a big room rather..

Its really worth looking into acoustics and listening positions and so on and so forth, read books on the matter. Fair play for asking about this at least you are looking into it because quite a lot of people don't pay attention or think about this. So good luck!

Well The arm chairs might act as an absorbent for mid to low range frequencies. Also judging by that wall behind the monitors that's a parallel wall which means you would probably get some reflections that bounce around the room. I understand you don't have a camera so i'm just building the rest of the room in my head.. Honestly its quite hard to tell because every room is different. When you clap your hands in the room do you get a lot of reverb? is it a loud room? or a big room rather..

Its really worth looking into acoustics and listening positions and so on and so forth, read books on the matter. Fair play for asking about this at least you are looking into it because quite a lot of people don't pay attention or think about this. So good luck!

Thanks for the reply !! The room is big but I don't really notice a lot of reverb when I clap.It has a lot of furniture so I think that helps a little.There are no empty walls except for the one behind the monitors. I would acoustically treat my room but not this one.I plan to get some studio space in a year or two and right now I just want to make the best out of what I have without making major modifications to the room.I want to know AT LEAST how the things in my room affect the sound so I can take that into consideration when I mix.

Yes mate, you got the right idea! I'd write mix and finsh a track or whatever.. then if possible play it in a room thats well treated with some monitors, and then say to yourself " oh... are the highs really that bright?" or" is the bass that boomy." Its really weird once you learn this shit cause i used a test oscillator in my room around 100 hertz - ish and that when everything starts to shake. So yeah its just a matter of going oh i really don't want to go tooo mad there cause its going sound muddy as shit on other things.

Back