is music for me?

Poptrick

i've always wanted to learn music production but whenever i tried i would give up easily because of the fact that i never learned how to play the piano. i would have tons of ideas in my mind but i didn't know how to implement them to my daw. i'm 19 at the moment and i'm wondering if i'm wasting my time with this or should i take a step forward and take classes on music theory and piano.

what kind of answer are you looking for here? No one can answer that. Piano will definitely help you with what you want, I dont know what else to say lol.

dam.same age, same fear of piano learning.As a person who actively tried not to learn it and still hasnt learned it to 25% even, It helps.
Even a small bit.Even if you practice scales and chords for like 4 minutes a day you can do melodies way quicker than mouse and can use the mouse just as an arranger/modifier tool.

i never took any real lessons on playing or theory but still gave it a go by learning to play back songs by ear, but learning some basic chord theory would help a lot. i think buying a midi keyboard was the best thing i did because after that it was easier to test stuff on keys rather than wasting time making it in my daw. start off with used gear so you wont spend too much money in case you dont stick with producing.

I agree with Yumid. That's a question only you can answer for yourself. There are many incredible benefits to learning, playing, and recording music. But of course I and anyone else here would say that.

You only get one spin at life (that we know of), so try to use your time to do the things you truly want to do.

Personally, I don't think that you need to learn, I don't learn I just play by ear. I agree with practicing scales though, that does help. But I don't think that you should give up this quick

If music is something that you really want to do then just do it, don't go around asking from confirmation from people like us because in the end we cant tell you what to do or whats right for you. Music comes from the soul, and if you feel it in your soul that you should be making music then work at it, stay consistent, and dont give up again.

I didnt read the op...
But you should probably quit...
Sounds like a waste of our time u kno...
No reason to go overboard trying to do something u just cant do...
Be honest with your self...

Follow the signature or keep it kickin bruh...

Last edited:
It really doesn't matter to much when it comes to rap, hip hop, or dance beats, but with other genres like R&B piano skills are needed. Lots of big hip hop records were clicked in by mouse, but still have to have a good ear for melody.

If you question yourself and your curiosity, then more than likely it isn't for you.

Best of luck.

1 you don't NEED to know how to play the piano to be a music producer... and if your patience is short.. the music game isn't for you honestly.. the shit is all about patience.. timing. and progression

Back