Is live music dead?

[Shizo]

Not yet, but it does seem to be dying out.

Even the "human imperfections" are imitated on the computer now. Give it 10 years and every instrument will be precisely imitated using synthesis and physical modeling. And I do mean precisely - exactly like the real thing.

PS: I think writing is dying out also.

the sun is dying out.

legacy is a failed conglomerate. Wood is going to burn out. Lead computers are going to draw in dark matter and fluctuation in declined and unreceived radio broadcasts and alien nexus after the world is destroyed and the world will continue to pulse and bleep in a hospital fashion, with 808s blurring in inhumane density, malfunctioned and defunct with no walls to contain their roar and presence. Then in alterior dimensions, void from the constraints of endless pondering and duality, something will happen...

something will happen.

and it won't be a live show

i think live music is growing more as far as hip-hop is concerned

Live music will never die out. People will always enjoy the performing aspect of music.

Technology (midi, drum machines, computer daw, software applications, etc) and the streamlining of the music industry put the live musician on the backburner in terms of the recording studio.

I understand your point, technology (drum replacement and audio quantizing on rock records, pitch tuning on pop records, etc) aims to make music perfect.

But then again records usually aim for the most ideal perfect approximation, it's been that way since the inception of the recording studio and commercialization of the recording industry (just harder to do back then - Recording multiple takes then splicing and editing tape for the best performance).

I also believe that primitive "artificial intelligence" technology will be a factor in music within the next 20 years. It will be it's own subset and have it's own category (with virtual artists who become popular).
But this type of technology is going to be a norm in all aspects of life (medicine, advertising, interpersonal relations, warfare, etc). It's inevitable.

Back to live music. Whether it's 2009 or 2109 or the year 9, humans will always love to venture out into a crowd and listen to someone play their favorite pieces of music live, imperfections/change ups and all.

Right now as we speak, people of all ages/cultures are venturing to some gathering place to listen to good/bad/exotic/different/cover bands play music.

I wouldn't count live music out in terms of recording just yet. Right now pro level technology is available to the most casual of consumer for cheap. This level of saturation can lead to the anti-tech musical age, where live performance becomes the different and new thing.

the sun is dying out.

legacy is a failed conglomerate. Wood is going to burn out. Lead computers are going to draw in dark matter and fluctuation in declined and unreceived radio broadcasts and alien nexus after the world is destroyed and the world will continue to pulse and bleep in a hospital fashion, with 808s blurring in inhumane density, malfunctioned and defunct with no walls to contain their roar and presence. Then in alterior dimensions, void from the constraints of endless pondering and duality, something will happen...

something will happen.

and it won't be a live show

Man, that was sinisterly poetic. I want to hear that as a narration on some PBS special about armageddon.

As far as live music...nah. Nothing beats a stage full of musicians doing their thing, improvising, re-arranging well known songs, incorporating covers into their set...theres something about the energy that a band brings that just sh*ts on any pre-recorded backing track I have ever heard.

I saw Stevie Wonder in concert last summer and it was awesome. Best concert I've been to in my short life. Saw Wyclef this summer, 2nd best easily.

Maybe some day it will start to phase out as technology continues to develop, but I'll gladly drop a couple bucks into a guitar case on a corner to hear someone rip it until that time.

Last edited:
I understand your point, technology (drum replacement and audio quantizing on rock records, pitch tuning on pop records, etc) aims to make music perfect.

I see things a little different than that , I see those technological tools make the process easier for those with insufficient talent to produce a "real" recording .

I can relate to the OP in that the big venue live acts are becoming more and more processed and manufactured (Miley Cyrus et al) .
Yet this also forms a dichotomy as the big name bands (old school) are having to tour to make money as the sales of recording plummets due to the net .

The small club scene is good though (in UK) , there are many bands making great and original music , that is far from dead :D

Live music will never die. People are tired of seein' singers lip-singin'!! I want real music with real musicians.

Are you kidding me? It's getting to be the only reliable way to make some actual CASH of your hard work and skills. If you think you're going to get noticed by Warner music and get some big signing bonus in this day and age you are sorely mistaken. They are only repping acts that already have a built in following (ie: guaranteed sales base) and the only way you're going to build that up is gigging. Blogging or uploading tracks to myspace should be a part of your marketting, but if that's all you do it's not really gonna get you anywhere. You will attract more attention and build a better fan base getting out there and gigging than any other way. And it's not until you have that fan base that people are going to buy your albums in numbers large enough to cover the overhead.

You're right, modular_jack.

Here in China all music is freely downloadable - on official websites no less! Copyright laws don't exist here, so the only way to make music is by gigging. And since in Asia everyone and their mother is a crazy Karaoke singer, no one is interested in watching people sing/rap to an mp3 track.

Have you been staying in listening to music or something because how can you even ask if live music is dying? It'll never die. Its not as if rock, heavy metal etc....bands will ever just decide to all give up. There'll always be live music.

Live music will never die and hasn't even shown any signs of dying whatsoever. Step out of your house and take a look around you once in a while.

Seriously, what a weird question to ask.

oh hi [Shizo]!

live music won't die off. just for the fact that its still so popular. look at the scenes that require live musicians. bluegrass jazz and so on. they have been around forever now and while the size of the scene they represent may be smaller they are in no way disappearing.

i think its just that its now so much easier to trap your self in a bubble listening to only one or two types of music so you miss out on all the other stuff going on all over the world.

live music will never die. in fact, it will be even more live.......

reminds me of Jimmy Neutron. someday we will Think a song and it will Play. that is LIVE. sounds a little to revolutionary and fantasy though lol

No way!. Live music has been around even before phono recordings. With the digital age and uncertainty, it's probably in the best interest of all involved musically to keep it alive. Recorded music seems to be becoming more of a form of advertisement for musicians live shows. It's also where musicians make a bulk of their earnings, so i don't think it could die out, well at least not yet

Hot Beatz
http://thebeatspot.com

Back