Is Leasing Beats A Good way to go?

Let me also ad that I do believe that talent alone will not make you successful.

You must market yourself and/or your services. That is business basics 101. How you go about it is another issue. But a combination of offline & online marketing seems to be a good way to go.

Last edited:
This is the reason why I say it isn't too farfetched to believe that some beat producers can make money off leasing beats:

I just clicked on a few names out of the top 20 in instrumental charts on soundclick:

Royal Beatz 007: 8,503,796 total plays , 1,100,021 page views

Danny Lifted Beats: 276,718 total plays, 178,630 page views

Trendsetterz: 3,079,045 total plays, 378,084 page views

All these numbers mean is that people are listening. How many are buying, I'm not sure but I'm sure a small percentage do buy.

The actual term is "licensing"... Not "leasing"...

...anyway, making beats to license non exclusovely to artists is essentially the same as making a sample cd with beats... The only difference is that you are licensing one beat at a time rather than a whole cd full of beats.

It is fine if that is something you want to do...

and the person using your beats is basically just the same as someone who used a hear from a sample cd... Except that they got the beat from you.

The actual term is "licensing"... Not "leasing"...

...anyway, making beats to license non exclusovely to artists is essentially the same as making a sample cd with beats... The only difference is that you are licensing one beat at a time rather than a whole cd full of beats.

It is fine if that is something you want to do...

and the person using your beats is basically just the same as someone who used a hear from a sample cd... Except that they got the beat from you.

that's what i thought for a long time. i assumed people were talking about licensing. but there is another thing going on that is leasing, where the beatmaker is treating the beat like a car or an apartment. I'm trying to figure out what this new wrong way is. It's kinda like the whole ghetto copryright crap, were someone thinks that if they mail themselves a cd that counts as projection. which we know won't hold up.

"Leasing" is never used in an intellectual property context, AFAIK. "Leasing" generally applies only to tangible property. And if you think about it, it's not even a good way of describing what people who "lease" beats want to do.

When you lease a car, can the car dealership drive it whenever they want? When you lease an office building, can the landlord come in and use the space whenever he wants? No, one of the keys to a lease agreement is that the lessor (the one giving the lease) gives up a right to use the property.

If you would use the legal definition of "lease," that would mean that once you lease a beat, you give up all rights to use that beat until the lease agreement runs out. That seems to be the opposite of what people "leasing" beats want.

I think this whole leasing pandemic came from soundclick and forums like these. i think it came from people who don't know better searching through premade contracts until they find one that fits what they think they should do.

I think this whole leasing pandemic came from soundclick and forums like these. i think it came from people who don't know better searching through premade contracts until they find one that fits what they think they should do.

That sounds about right. The Soundclick "example" contracts are completely horrible, and I feel bad if anyone who actually uses them ever ends up in court. Horrible, horrible, horrible :)

Back