Is it smart to steal sample ideas off whosampled?

gescajadillo

Aside from everything unethical, I was thinking about reusing song samples and adding my drums to it. You think its a good idea just to improve workflow and give more content to rappers? What could the producer do if it's not even their music to begin with? The artist should just worry about the clearance thats it right.

Last edited:
Why not use it to discover artists. Sample from artists these guys sample from?

But the exact song? Lame IMO, but it's a free country.

It's weird, I'm from an era where you knew the sample from hearing your parents playing it or whatever, and if it was the random one you ran across, it's because you bought the album to LISTEN. I don't believe in instant gratification when it comes to sampling. It's just a loop and drums you'll have the same shyt as not onlt the artist in question who already made it famous, but every other lame(IMO)who went to "whosampled' as well.

A few weeks back, a poster accused me of using 'whosampled" because I knew J. Cole Sampled a Jennifer Hudson single from like 2011(1st song on her second album), lol. Hip hop really is dying. No one wants to be a fan of music, but they expect to make it and have their own fans. How when you don't even know what makes it great because you're not LISTENING!!!!

Last edited:
If you're gonna flip it some other way go for it IMO.

Nothing wrong with it, or if you improve on it, not like add a new drum, but add some new instruments and parts.

If you're biting you're biting, and that's weak.

Everybody steals nowadays, Pharrell, Will.I.AM. etc. I don't care if its weak or not, I just want to know how safe enough will I be from a business standpoint.

I don't care if its weak or not.

Irony is, that's the only thing consumers who will finance your "business" by purchasing your music are gonna care about. Nobody buys weak shyt, bruh(not referring to the direct situation as much as that mind state). You won't get far in music with that attitude.

The attitude is to work smarter, not harder. Why spend hours and hours searching for samples then to find an idea and use it? Quality does matter I agree but like I said, I am asking for legal advice. I am not trying to be the most realest beat maker with the rarest samples and all. I just want to get work done.

The attitude is to work smarter, not harder. Why spend hours and hours searching for samples then to find an idea and use it? Quality does matter I agree but like I said, I am asking for legal advice. I am not trying to be the most realest beat maker with the rarest samples and all. I just want to get work done.

Then do your thing and go sample anything you like. As long as you can clear the sample if it sells then thats pretty much all you have to worry about...unless you jacked the beat and sampled phrase for phrase the same as someone else, then it is just unoriginal bullshit.

If a particular sample evokes the right mood or provides the right effect for the song you want to create---use it, why do you need to ask us for permission? Snatch it, chop it loop it, do whatever you want, fucc what anyone else thinks..

Last edited:
They sometimes use watermarks to prove it's theirs... So there is that. (Good luck with lawsuits - if you use it commercially)

Last edited:
Everybody steals nowadays, Pharrell, Will.I.AM. etc. I don't care if its weak or not, I just want to know how safe enough will I be from a business standpoint.

You will not be safe at all from a business standpoint.

But the real question is why are you asking permission from us to break the law? If you want to be a thief, just do it. Be a man. Just remember that there will be negative consequences from your thievery!

Last edited:
its kind of lame to go sample something that has been sampled to death before. so I would say go find your own samples.

Back