Is it possible to get signed, without a fanbase?

As a producer what do you guys think is the best way to get signed? do you need to build a buzz by doing collabs and then start goin after it? or just send tracks straight away

Naw, if anything I'm hearing the industry doesn't sign you UNLESS you have a prior fanbase. That's what a lot of rappers like Chris Webby are saying.

How do you get in touch with fans without a label? That's the real question.

i think that's literally the million dollar question that hasn't been completely cracked. I have an idea that it comes down to association and connections with known artists in your area. That too me sounds like the common denominator.

Any time I watch these successful artists talk about how they come up, there career always turns around when they meet a certain DJ, or executive, or booking manager, or manager, or artist. So the answer lies somewhere in there.

Trinidad James came seemingly out of nowhere but in an interview with either Hot97 or Power 105 he mentioned that number 1 he passed it out at his shoe store in Atlanta that he said had a few influential customers that he already had a relationship with. And he VERY briefly mentioned there was a couple connected people in the industry that got him play in all the important places.

I also saw somewhere that Joey Bada$$ who also seemingly came out of nowhere may be managed by a pretty successful group but that he doesn't advertise his affiliations to grow an organic fan base. That may or may not be true.

But the common theme seems to do be having a relationship with people already connected.

Y'all still stuck in the old paradigm.. talking about getting signed and LABELS... its 2013, do your own sheeitt.. and worry about the labels when they worry about you.. F those suits!!

YOU DON'T NEED THEM! THEY NEED YOU!
...find your niche and perfect it

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

As a producer what do you guys think is the best way to get signed? do you need to build a buzz by doing collabs and then start goin after it? or just send tracks straight away
<--- your answering your own questions..
if you REALLY are genuine about your craft and music in general.. and not in it for $,$$$ which is what Fd TRUE artists in the first place..
move with artists you believe in! (hopefully they have some type of internet presence) as they grow you'll see their affiliates.. (other artists,blogs,etc) work with them too! keep moving up the chain.. and you'll get NOTICED sooner or later if you have TRUE ORIGINAL TALENT.. its inevitable

PEACE

OH and lastly... YES! it is possible w/o a HUGE fan base

Last edited by a moderator:
It ain't like it used to be anymore. Major labels don't invest in development anymore. You gotta get established on your own first. I know this because 2 weeks ago I was on the phone with my artist and an A&R of Interscope. No b.s. We got all excited because we were thinking we were about to make it, but it didn't work like that. They were digging our music hardcore, but they told us we need more videos, fanbase, investors, exposure, etc etc and then come back to them. So there's your answer OP.

The days of getting a deal from just a demo tape are long gone bruh, no label is going to waste money on any artist who can't generate some sort of buzz via social media, and has the ability to market himself. Sorry you gotta have a fanbase.

The traditional record industry is pretty much dead. No one wants to pay for music now, so labels can't take the financial risks that they used to. To minimize their risks, labels nowadays will likely only sign people who they know have an established fan base.

It's not impossible, but it's definitely a lot harder now then it would have been 15 years ago.

Im sure you can get signed without one, but having a fan base bumps you up a little on the list. Think about it like this, you apply for a job, you bring a resume. They want to see what you've done before this job. People they can all to see how good you are. A fan base it your reference list.

Back