Is i worth it to buy a sampler?

what analog gear can you get for $1000? Furthermore what analog samplers are really worth while these days? IM asking because I don't know of any samplers still be pursued that are analog (mpcs are not analog)
I'm sure he meant hardware box vs digital software.

I've never seen a completely analogue sampler, they're all digital somehow, I've seen analogue loopers but never an analogue sampler.

man i love fl but i palyed with a mpc and to tell you the truth its pros and cons to it........but i would have to say get both..
there is a real reason why timbaland still use a ASR but use vsti's

dude analogue gears gonna get you into loving music for the whole and not just seeing it as a computer and music..music that barely leaves your body to be put into mp3 format and then booyah...

when you get an mpc you feel like the creator you feel like you've been waiting for this moment your whole life and now instantaneously your going to be the best beat master of the universe.
When you purchase an mpc you have that feel , that smell, that hunger to learn and be progressive on that particular machine to conquer it and arrive at the top unscathed!
Making beats on a computer is slick...and fast paced and effortless...
making beats on an mpc is relaxing, mind altering, unconscious, spiritual. haha.. I should work for an advertising company.

I personally feel that its always " worth it " to throw down some change for a beautiful piece of this world just to have it ..and know it and use it...its a wonderful feeling. BUT THEN WHEN THAT ***** BREAKS YOU WANA THROW A FIT...but relax...it can be fixed and healed, refreshed for another day..of being.

1 LOVE

I'm sure he meant hardware box vs digital software.

I've never seen a completely analogue sampler, they're all digital somehow, I've seen analogue loopers but never an analogue sampler.
only analog sampler ive ever heard of was the mellotron though I am not sure that it is a sampler be definition but rather it just had sampled sounds in it that were recorded to tape. 99% of all samplers are digital

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

dude analogue gears gonna get you into loving music for the whole and not just seeing it as a computer and music..music that barely leaves your body to be put into mp3 format and then booyah...

when you get an mpc you feel like the creator you feel like you've been waiting for this moment your whole life and now instantaneously your going to be the best beat master of the universe.
When you purchase an mpc you have that feel , that smell, that hunger to learn and be progressive on that particular machine to conquer it and arrive at the top unscathed!
Making beats on a computer is slick...and fast paced and effortless...
making beats on an mpc is relaxing, mind altering, unconscious, spiritual. haha.. I should work for an advertising company.

I personally feel that its always " worth it " to throw down some change for a beautiful piece of this world just to have it ..and know it and use it...its a wonderful feeling. BUT THEN WHEN THAT ***** BREAKS YOU WANA THROW A FIT...but relax...it can be fixed and healed, refreshed for another day..of being.

1 LOVE
funny i dont feel that way about my digital hardware (mpc included) at all

only analog sampler ive ever heard of was the mellotron though I am not sure that it is a sampler be definition but rather it just had sampled sounds in it that were recorded to tape. 99% of all samplers are digital

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

funny i dont feel that way about my digital hardware (mpc included) at all

lol to be honest..neither do i.hahhaha im just super baked and wanted to type something...haha..my mpc was collecting dust for a while while i was working in ableton..(my preferred program ) haha...

but i was so happy to have an mpc when my computer ****ed up...omg was i happy...then my mode button broke and since ive been making beats with milkytracker what what.:smokinFP:

If you can afford it try a hardware sampler. If you buy it new you can always return and even if you buy it used, most samplers like MPC's are in high demand and can be sold right back to someone else the next day.

You already have software, so might as well try something different, as you sound like thats what your curious about, so pick one up and see for yourself if you like it. IMO, and MPC is the best bang for yur buck because the sequencer alone is worth the cost. Look for a mpc 1000, probably the best starter hardware sampler/sequencer, imo. They go used today for like $300-$400. If you got questions about specific hardware samplers just ask. good luck.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, a MPC2000 would be a better option, I think. Even though it doesnt have the memory or storage medium that the 1000 has, its a better sounding and quality sampler imo, and its a little cheaper on the market. With the 1000 I think you pay extra for the modern bells and whistles, but lose on sound quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
as someone very new to the game, i skipped over all software and decided to learn on an MPC 1000 back in july. i'm pretty happy with the decision because i have something i can both make music with at home and play live as well... while i am still learning about it, i would have to say i am happy to have taken the steep learning curve first, so when i get pro tools/logic/reason it will augment what i do on the MPC as opposed to the other way around (it just seems like a more logical direction of workflow to me and it seems easier to sample on the MPC and then move into the software side of things).

i don't know where you can get an MPC for 400 and guaranteed its not in that great condition if you do. i got mine on ebay for 580 with a 120GB hard drive installed and the 128meg upgrade, but the pads are faded. i've seen them anywhere between 600-1100 depending. 2000's are more.

either way, i love my machine.
and keep in mind, everything has its limitations, that is why multiple things are utilized by the majors, each for their strong suit, and to help to develop a signature sound. if you limit yourself to one device or software package, you're limiting your creative output. i'm not saying go out and buy everything you see, and always keep your budget in mind (which is why i haven't bought much else yet) but experiment with lots of stuff and find what is best for you and your sound...

good luck.

I agree for the most part with everyone else here: Only you can answer that question. But, I make beats on my computer and can sample into it and assign samples to my keyboard. This is not the same as making beats on an MPC period. The MPC will always be a better sampler/beat maker at heart. On my computer however, I've got all the bells & whistles as far as plugins, fx, buses, aux tracks etc..., and I can mix down very nicely too.

So, you should figure out what kinda sampler your tryin to get into and compare it to your current setup and then see if the benefits of adding it to your setup are worth the costs.

Back