Is i worth it to buy a sampler?

H

hart36

i peeped a pretty good sampler today.. roland something dont really know but it was a good price. however i have a keyboard and a comp obviously with FL, and was thinking is it worth it for me to get a MPC or a sampler? if i can get guru, battery etc for my keyboard. the fact is i can still assign chops and stuff and expand my creative outlet of those samples with experimentation using the keyboard. then put it or record it into FL. do you think it would be a better option to purchase battery etc instead of the samplers? thanks guys peace.

" Is i worth it to buy a sampler?"

That's a question you can only answer for yourself. There are thousands of ways to skin a cat. The knife you prefer is your choice.

If it was an SP-404 or something alike then it's worth it 100%. Great tool and really affordable. You don't even need to put your style of producing in jeopardy, learn both soft and hard samplers independently.

know what ur lookin for in a sampler b4 u buy it... there are a few that mite disappoint u, if u dont do ur research.

da relic

u sound confused save ur money until u have indentified what u want

slik da relic said:
know what ur lookin for in a sampler b4 u buy it... there are a few that mite disappoint u, if u dont do ur research.

Yea man do your research, read online reviews, and watch vids. Google and youtube are your best friends. Honestly you got all you need in FL and being that it's vst compatible, when your ready to grow just add on a vst(s). If you want an mpc feel, get an mpd.

What kind of keyboard you have?

Last edited:
thanks guys. i do enjoy editing and chopping in FL, but i want to get a more physical appeal with my music. i wanna be able to play the drums or play the samples/ chops on something you know? ive got a novation bass station SL MKII.

thanks guys. i do enjoy editing and chopping in FL, but i want to get a more physical appeal with my music. i wanna be able to play the drums or play the samples/ chops on something you know? ive got a novation bass station SL MKII.

You should try a hardware sampler indeed.

Onen of the most rewarding samplers nowadays is the Electribe ESX-1.

hyper easy to use, great interface, very fast for composing music, intuitive, robust, portable. Pure fun for newbies and pros.

The ESX/1 has almost 10 years since release, and still as one of the best options in the hardware world.

If u r using a keyboard with fl there is really no point in buying a sampler....fl samples and would be quicker to do all editing in the computer domain...even if u use a stand alone software program like recycle it still would be faster and alot more efficent.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

u can play ur samples using the keyboard controller for hardware effect....

Samplers are great for building instruments. Load up a single wave cycle, and the rest is the same as synth with the same functions. Great for sound design. But like most gear, it's only as worthwhile as the person using it. You want a drum/phrase synth, go with an MPC or electribe. Want a main sequencer, go with the RS7000, MPC, or MV8800.

You want to build large libraries of custom, personally built instruments? Buy a dedicated sampler with a ton of storage. Otherwise pick and choose the things you want to do and decide. Software is easier, it usually works of time tested interfaces... Hardware offers specific features to the model, and often things you won't find elsewhere..

Play with them, decide what YOU want and buy what works for you.

Last edited:
You should try a hardware sampler indeed.

Onen of the most rewarding samplers nowadays is the Electribe ESX-1.

hyper easy to use, great interface, very fast for composing music, intuitive, robust, portable. Pure fun for newbies and pros.

The ESX/1 has almost 10 years since release, and still as one of the best options in the hardware world.
does the ESX have realtime sequencing? The reason I didn't get an ES-1 was because I do hip hop & the step sequencing isn't good for my style (primarily because I don't quantize)

trust me, it's nice to have a hardware sampler. it keeps you focused on just music. sometimes software just gives you too many options and there's too much mouse clicking.

Yeah if ur not sure get and mpd and try it out and if u don't like it well atleast u didint spend 1000 for an mpc

IT ALL DEPENDS IF U LIKE ANALOG OR DIGITAL..SOME PPL HAVE $1k WORTH OF KEYBOARDS SAMPLERS N SOUNDMODULES...OTHERS HAVE $1K FULL OF SOFTWARE VST N EDITING PROGRAMS..

IT ALL DEPENDS IF U LIKE ANALOG OR DIGITAL..SOME PPL HAVE $1k WORTH OF KEYBOARDS SAMPLERS N SOUNDMODULES...OTHERS HAVE $1K FULL OF SOFTWARE VST N EDITING PROGRAMS..
what analog gear can you get for $1000? Furthermore what analog samplers are really worth while these days? IM asking because I don't know of any samplers still be pursued that are analog (mpcs are not analog)

Back