Is Hip Hop Getting dumber or is it the fans?

I don't give a shit whats popular or what other people listen to, if I like it I listen to it if not I don't. There's still some really good forward thinking stuff out there, and there was some really wack shit in the "golden days". The reason people always think music (hip-hop or not) was better "back in the day" is because you only remember the good songs/albums/artists from that time period.

People enjoy beats that bang with vocals that sound clean with the beat, lyrics aren't as big of a factor anymore

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND i've officially seen 100 threads saying Hip Hop is dead/dumb/not as good as it used to be.

I didn't read the whole thread but I read the first page and some of the second. While yes, the whole conspiracy about the prison industry is plausible, because big business is dirtym it's also just the music industry in general influencing popular trends in order to make money. There's a few interviews from some big names (Will.i.am, timbo and someone else I'm missing) basically breaking down that your not selling music anymore, your selling the lifestyle that goes with music, and that's where most of your money comes from. Hence Diddy with ciroc, Jay making songs about Tom Ford, Birdman GTV and so on.. It's more so hip-hop has become more and more a business over time than it is actually about the music. Which is natural when we live in a society where almost EVERY niche is saturated by trying to make money in it. And hip-hop is doomed to the same fate the way it's going now.

Back