Is FL Studio Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm, ask 9th Wonder, Jahlil Beats, Ayo The Producer, Lex Luger, Mike Will, Boi-1da, Hitboy, Johnny Juliano, and a slew of other SUCCESSFUL FL Studio users the same question!

Actually, the better question to ask them is if they're STILL using FL Studio after they made it big. Answer from most especially 9th Wonder and Lex Luger would be a big fat NO.

Last edited:
I remember getting my first copy of fruity loops in 2001. I thought it was a very fun easy to use program. It didnt take long for me to want to step up to a more advanced daw, which was Live. I think it all comes down to personal prefernce and how deep one is in the production game. these days i use a combo of Maschine for beatmaking, and Live for the polishing up the tracks, and vocal production. My honest opinion is that fl is a great starter program, as well as a advanced production tool. Although the initial look is somewhat chessy, it is very capable. It all comes down to what you prefer. Doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. Because if they are not there in your creative space then f**k it. So keep on doing your thing and decide what you like.

FL is part of the reason why Hip Hop tracks suck now a days. Every idiot with an idea thinks he or she can make beats. Should change name to FP for "Fisher Price" studio.

FL is heavily used, but often criticized for because of it's name, and placebo effects/myth relating to sound quality.
It's overall underrated because it's sound quality is actually the same as everything else.

The funniest part to me is how it's good for beginners, which it is, but there is really nothing any other software has to offer to help your production improve once you "move on".
All DAW's are really pretty much equal now.
I can DL Podium free, and make the same quality as I would with Live, Reason, or whatever.

Your not going to "upgrade", and make better music. these types of things rarely happen.
The basic tools in 2013 have come close enough to top tier tools to allow even freeware to offer enough to complete albums that sound like they were made with pro gear.

There is really never a NEED to upgrade from something like FL, Reason, Live, etc.
Only people who WANT to for gear lust reasons.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

FL is part of the reason why Hip Hop tracks suck now a days. Every idiot with an idea thinks he or she can make beats. Should change name to FP for "Fisher Price" studio.

If "Every idiot with an idea" Downloaded Live, or Reason instead there would be the same problem.
It's pretty easy to figure out if you have thousands upon thousands more people dabbling into music because of the availability of music software that there is a 100% chance of there being more bad music.
It's impossible in 2013 for a vst squencer to have an impact on that.
However you overlook the fact that when ever you increase the number of something you also increase the number of good along with the bad.

Therefore by the law of math we automatically have more good music because of FL too.

More users ALWAYS equals more on both ends of the spectrum. There is nothing to argue here.
Good, bad, mediocre. There is just more of all of it.

FL is heavily used, but often criticized for because of it's name, and placebo effects/myth relating to sound quality.
It's overall underrated because it's sound quality is actually the same as everything else.

The funniest part to me is how it's good for beginners, which it is, but there is really nothing any other software has to offer to help your production improve once you "move on".
All DAW's are really pretty much equal now.
I can DL Podium free, and make the same quality as I would with Live, Reason, or whatever.

Your not going to "upgrade", and make better music. these types of things rarely happen.
The basic tools in 2013 have come close enough to top tier tools to allow even freeware to offer enough to complete albums that sound like they were made with pro gear.

There is really never a NEED to upgrade from something like FL, Reason, Live, etc.
Only people who WANT to for gear lust reasons.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

If "Every idiot with an idea" Downloaded Live, or Reason instead there would be the same problem.
It's pretty easy to figure out if you have thousands upon thousands more people dabbling into music because of the availability of music software that there is a 100% chance of there being more bad music.
It's impossible in 2013 for a vst squencer to have an impact on that.
However you overlook the fact that when ever you increase the number of something you also increase the number of good along with the bad.

Therefore by the law of math we automatically have more good music because of FL too.

More users ALWAYS equals more on both ends of the spectrum. There is nothing to argue here.
Good, bad, mediocre. There is just more of all of it.

Your application of exponential function is flawed in your argument. The increase of good vs bad is NOT equal in terms of quality of music same as it is in anything else. I won't get into extreme details, but to put it in layman's terms, there are always more idiots than geniuses, more poor people than rich, more overweight people than athletes. This has been touched on by everyone from bankers to motivational speakers. some people call it the 80/20 rule, some the 95/5, and some others like Jim Rohn have gone as far as say 97/3.

Using the first figure since it's the most widely used, it means 80% of the real work in any company is done by 20% of the employess, so that translates to 80% of good music out there is done by only 20% of artists. I'd actually go with 95/5 on this one. Because of how inexpensive technology has become and how advanced software has become (combined with the ease of pirating) we have an influx of mediocre music flooding the market. Blame the internet if you will, but there isn't any more or less good music now than there was in the 90's, it's quite the opposite. There's a huge flood of garbage being produced by every single noob with a computer calling themselves a "pro-doo-sah".

So unless human beings have evolved in the past 20 years (which they haven't), that means that the rules still apply to the human condition. Only the truly motivated and blessed will move up and the imbeciles will stay where they're at. Additionally, keep in mind that it has been proven that idiots multiply faster than normal people.

There is more garbage out there because idiots with poor work ethics have access to the tools but it still takes the same amount of time and effort to become good at anything. Just because it's easier now more than ever to get your hands on the tools to make music, the amount of effort it takes to be good (and the unwillingness of the masses to commit to anything of value) hasn't changed a bit.

So yes, there is more crap out there because of FL Studio and pirating than there is good. By a landslide.

Last edited:
I don't think it's over rated at all. If anything FL studio gets a bad rep from the product of the people that use it and the norm set in place in the industry.

The vast majority of FL studio user are just starting to make beats/record/engineer. With that being said, their productions sound amateur. There is nothing wrong with that, we all have to go they that phase in order to make quality work. Some stay with FL studio(hit boy, lex, etc) while others move to different DAWs. To bring it together, majority of the work people hear from FL studio is sub par, so they associate that with the DAW.

It also gets a bad rep because of the industry it self. So many people want to be in the industry. So badly that they take the words and actions of rappers, producers, engineers and run with it. They see their favorite producer praising protools and automatically assume that's what you need to make quality music without question. The industry is filled with sheep.

Your application of exponential function is flawed in your argument. The increase of good vs bad is NOT equal in terms of quality of music same as it is in anything else. I won't get into extreme details, but to put it in layman's terms, there are always more idiots than geniuses, more poor people than rich, more overweight people than athletes. This has been touched on by everyone from bankers to motivational speakers. some people call it the 80/20 rule, some the 95/5, and some others like Jim Rohn have gone as far as say 97/3.

Using the first figure since it's the most widely used, it means 80% of the real work in any company is done by 20% of the employess, so that translates to 80% of good music out there is done by only 20% of artists. I'd actually go with 95/5 on this one. Because of how inexpensive technology has become and how advanced software has become (combined with the ease of pirating) we have an influx of mediocre music flooding the market. Blame the internet if you will, but there isn't any more or less good music now than there was in the 90's, it's quite the opposite. There's a huge flood of garbage being produced by every single noob with a computer calling themselves a "pro-doo-sah".

So unless human beings have evolved in the past 20 years (which they haven't), that means that the rules still apply to the human condition. Only the truly motivated and blessed will move up and the imbeciles will stay where they're at. Additionally, keep in mind that it has been proven that idiots multiply faster than normal people.

There is more garbage out there because idiots with poor work ethics have access to the tools but it still takes the same amount of time and effort to become good at anything. Just because it's easier now more than ever to get your hands on the tools to make music, the amount of effort it takes to be good (and the unwillingness of the masses to commit to anything of value) hasn't changed a bit.

So yes, there is more crap out there because of FL Studio and pirating than there is good. By a landslide.

So I don't get it are you arguing that If all of the newbz were using Live things would be any different.
And yes Volume equals more of everything.

@moesulaiman I agree. I somehow seem to come back to fl every blue moon and u find something more complex with it. It is a great tool that everyone needs to quit tripin over. When in comes to awesome music it doesn't matter how you get there, just as long as you achieve that goal. Use fl, live, mashine, cue bass, GarageBand, ect ect .....just learn how to make good music and never stop learning new techniques.....and don't get ahead of yourself. Release theistic when you know it's awesome. First impression is all

I use FL Studio myself and find it does what I need. It's good for the beginner to get to grips with music and beat creation, but in the right hands I think it can be used to create some superb, well produced tracks. With the amount of quality VST's about these days I don't think it can really limit what can be achieved.

FL Studio is totally overrated. You think someone like Drake [...] wants to work with someone using software with plugins called "fruityEQ" or "fruitycompressor"[?]

You've gotta be kidding me. Drake is the poster child for songs backed by FL Studio, thanks to frequent collaboration with Boi-1da.

Take a look at Boi-1da's "software of choice":

Boi-1da - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now take a look at Boi-1da's discography with Drake. Sigh. Let me Google that for you:

Boi-1da production discography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drake isn't going to trip over the names of the tools used. He would spit a verse over a beat created in "Capt'n Crunch Fantastic Music Adventure 3.2" if it was hot.

Afrojack, Avicci and Laidback Luke don't qualify for real music.

I'm not sure how you mean. Is it because they're mainstream? You used Drake as your "professionalism" qualifier though, so... I still don't understand.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
You've gotta be kidding me. Drake is the poster child for songs backed by FL Studio, thanks to frequent collaboration with Boi-1da.

Take a look at Boi-1da's "software of choice":

Boi-1da - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now take a look at Boi-1da's discography with Drake. Sigh. Let me Google that for you:

Drake isn't going to trip over the names of the tools used. He would spit a verse over a beat created in "Capt'n Crunch Fantastic Music Adventure 3.2" if it was hot.

I'm not sure how you mean. Is it because they're mainstream? You used Drake as your "professionalism" qualifier though, so... I still don't understand.

-Ki
Salem Beats

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

This is your typical FL Studio user.

collegehumor.3d8c38a251db40a392e0f12bf53a62ac.jpg

^^^From what I've seen, Logic is more heavily bootlegged than FL these days. The music speaks for itself. I rarely hear anything good come from Logic beyond the work of professionals that use it. If FL is so "amateurish" why is it(just my opinion)the software that tends to produce the best results on a massive scale.

9/10 Logic producers from my experience sound like they use a $99 Casio Keyboard and have no idea of how to sequence or mix.

4/5 Ableton users from my experience have basic melodies with no transitions and seem to find achievements in being able to put together the most basic drum patterns. They also have a sterile sound due to lack of effects use. But in all fairness the 1/5 who get it right utilize tools not easily accessible in other software daws(maybe not in Ableton either, but they know WTF they're doing).

I'll give you Cubase, from my experience people don't touch that unless they know what they're doing. I've never heard a wack production come from Cubase(not saying they aren't out there, I just haven't heard them).

Haven't ran into many Reason users(irony is I use Reason)but from what I gather, you get alot of guys with an overcompressed saturated "Dr. Dre/Composed" sound.

I'm not trying to put any program above another, don't be offended by my assessment unless you fall in with the masses(you can avoid sounding like any DAW and make your own sound with any tool at your disposal). But with FL, at least it's hit or miss. Whether sampling, composing from scratch, fusing all types of elements, regardless of the genre, you hear as much great music(if not more) as you hear bad stuff and most mixes(even on the bad stuff)are gonna be tolerable.

I do hear more "FL and Logic Beats" than anything else. But everything I hear from FL has it's own lane. I think it's set up for you to approach anything from a million different angles so everyone arrives at different places. I honestly can't tell a beat was made in FL unless it's the cliche trap sequence or certain distinct sounds are used. I can tell a bad Logic beat from the gate I've heard so many of them. But good ones always catch me off guard.

Alot of that doesn't matter, because the beat get's loaded into another DAW, mixed, rearranged and sequenced when a finalized song is done. So that same $99 casio beat or loopy shyt with no transition can ultimately sound like a million bucks.

I've gathered this opinion(I overstress opinion) from FP members, youtube vids, guys who come to my studio with beats to record over, ect. I do alot of music, damn near 24/7. I hear alot of beats.

None of that was said to down any software, but to issue a challenge. Research for yourself and I'm sure you too will find FL doesn't lead the world in "wack production". And to the least you'll find it's sound can be just as "professional" as anything else while in the wrong hands anything else can be "less professional" than FL.

"Wack" and "hot" are opinionated words, so...let's understand I don't judge by my personal taste in music, but by recognition of song potential. A dance beat that is radio ready, arranged professionally and mixed to perfection holds higher merit than a hip hop record with horrible sound selection, novice melodies, and a muffled sound even though I'm personally not a big fan of "dance beats".

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

This is your typical FL Studio user.

View attachment 39999
lol you are in denial. boi1da has stated so many different times in so many different places that he uses FL its insanity lol. Don't let your dislike of FL Studio cloud the facts. And I don't use it becuase I dislike it but people are making records with everything these days.

lol you are in denial. boi1da has stated so many different times in so many different places that he uses FL its insanity lol. Don't let your dislike of FL Studio cloud the facts. And I don't use it becuase I dislike it but people are making records with everything these days.

It's for noobs. You are very misinformed.

apu-tyca-e1342877856253.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back