Introduction - another new member

Slaphead

Just thought I'd introduce myself here in the getting started section as that's exactly where I am.

I kind of fell into this about 3 months ago, to be honest I never thought I'd end messing around with electronic music, but once the bug bit it became incredibly addictive.

To that end I crammed music theory - scales, keys, modes, chord formation, harmonisation, melody etc - I've been doing a lot of reading and knowing the basics of theory has helped enormously.

I'm tending, or I should say would like, to go in a progressive direction - mostly trance, but I seem to always miss and end up creating something completely different, but I guess that's just the beginnings of my style coming out. I also get a bit carried away and end up creating 8 - 10 min monstrosities. Funnily enough what I thought was going to be the hard part (melodies and harmonization) wasn't and what I thought was going to be the easy part (drum and percussion) turned into the hardest part to get right.

Most of what I've done so far has been on the iPad. Don't laugh, there are a lot of powerful music creation apps available on iOS and we're not talking Garageband either. Even so I've invested in Logic pro X, a couple of nearfield studio monitors and an audio interface, but I am finding Logic to be pretty slow going. From what I've heard it may be that Ableton is more suited to the way I think, but I'll persevere with Logic a bit longer.

One thing I will say is that I have no intention of doing this professionally. My goal is to try to make music that I like to listen to. If somebody else happens to like it then it's a bonus.

Well that's me - I so see a mountain in front of me getting to grips with all of this synth patching, compressors, limiters, distortion etc, and am therefore very happy I've found a place like this.

Cheers

Hi and welcome to the forums! There are lots of things to learn from this site, not necessarily by starting threads and asking questions (which of course is also good), but by simply reading threads and looking at topics that you are not familiar with.

Hopefully you'll stick around and evolve as a musician like many others here.

Cheers,
Daniel

Just thought I'd introduce myself here in the getting started section as that's exactly where I am.

I kind of fell into this about 3 months ago, to be honest I never thought I'd end messing around with electronic music, but once the bug bit it became incredibly addictive.

Awesome! If you stick with it, you will truly have something that will enrich and improve your life in countless ways! I caught the bug years ago and it never left. It only grows.

Funnily enough what I thought was going to be the hard part (melodies and harmonization) wasn't and what I thought was going to be the easy part (drum and percussion) turned into the hardest part to get right.

So common. :) I actually personally believe you can tell a lot about a producers/engineers skills by their drums. Drums are key!

Even so I've invested in Logic pro X, a couple of nearfield studio monitors and an audio interface, but I am finding Logic to be pretty slow going. From what I've heard it may be that Ableton is more suited to the way I think, but I'll persevere with Logic a bit longer.

That's all you need to get yourself started making pro quality stuff. A word on Ableton and Logic - if you aren't making exactly what you want yet, don't necessarily blame it on the DAW. They are all very similar. That being said, the only reason I'd suggest switching to Ableton is if you plan on doing extensive DJing at some point and you enjoy the structure it has. Otherwise, stick with Logic. I, personally, am a bit of a Logic fanboy though. I've used it for years and know it like the back of my hand... I absolutely love it.

That being said, it's not about the tool, it's how well you use the tool. :)

One thing I will say is that I have no intention of doing this professionally. My goal is to try to make music that I like to listen to. If somebody else happens to like it then it's a bonus.

This is an excellent mindset to go into this with. You have many years ago wonderful excitement and joy ahead of you. Even as you get better and begin perhaps making things specifically that other people will like, never lose this wonder. It is such an asset.

Practice every chance you get. Learn how you work. Have fun. I guarantee you will impress not just yourself, but other people soon enough. :)

And welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the welome, guys, and espcially your words of encouragement, thegroundabove.

If anybody's interested you take a listen to my latest on Soundcloud - It's had a couple of nice comments so far, although it's probably way too long.

All tracks so far have been done on the iPad using Korg Gadget (basically a bag full of mini synths tied together with a sequencer - great fun). There's no mixing as such or effects (well only effects provided by the particular synths) and they're just raw from the Gadget app.

The next project I do will be in logic, as I feel I need to move to the big boys toys now, but It would be great to have some feedback on what I've done so far.

Thanks again

Back